GTX 780 Underperforming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

giostagnaro

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Hey guys, i'm getting very low fps on most games on my new GTX 780. In some games like Batman Arkham City where my fps should be flying by the 100's im getting between 30 - 60 fps and in Skyrim i'm getting between 25 - 62 even though the game is not modded, I've looked almost everywhere and can't find a solution, in every other forum people just tell the OP to turn V-Sync off or to unpark their cores, I've also checked GPU-Z but kinda clueless lol.
This is my current build running on Windows 8.1
- Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz
-Motherboard
- GPU EVGA GTX 780
- 8GB Ram Kingston Blu
- Samsung 250gb ssd
- PSU Corsair CX750

I have the latest Nvidia drivers and no idea what is causing my build to underperform. Please help me pros of tomshardware and masters of the internets.

Solution
There is no way your CPU is bottlenecking. Ignore that post. I ran an i5 3330 3.0 with a GTX 780 Classified and didn't bottleneck it.

Can you run GPU-Z tell us the GPU loads and temperatures. Also check to see if GPU is noticing anything causing incompatibility issues.

Make sure all Drivers are for sure up to date. Make sure you've upgraded to the latest Bios Release!

Do a virus scan.

Try turning off the computer take the video care out than re-seat it in the PCIEx16 Slot.

giostagnaro

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

I have no mods installed, and i get heavy frame drops. I don't understand why this is happening with the 780 because with my previous card, which was the 650ti I could even play with an ENB and texture mods and still have 50 - 60 fps

Your CPU should keep up so really do not know what is going on if it is running at X16 when gaming.

CondemnedShadow

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

The 780 on skyrim even fully modded with max ENBs should be able to run 60+ FPS at 1080p. Try a fresh OS install. It may also be something hardware related just saying. I have no idea what might be the problem if this does not fix the problem.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I looked at the system summary again ad noticed that your ram isn't working dualchannel.Put it in either the blue or the black slots to make it run in dualchannel.
Maybe there's one that should be populated so look in the manual which are the best to use.

It might and probably doesn't have to do with your problems,but it should be better anyway.

You're not using the linked ram also according to the system summary.According to the info in the next topic should it be 2x8gb's and there's also confusion about it,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1752649/xmp-profile-missing.html
it seems that someone has messed things up somewhere.

giostagnaro

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

I can't make it work dual channel since i only have 1 8gb RAM stick.

giostagnaro

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Oh yeah, installing chipset drivers, reseating my graphics card and updating its drivers and also updating the BIOS fixed it. Now i am getting 160 FPS in skyrim with ultra settings, thanks!!!