GTX 950 Or similar Graphics card for cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaffronVK

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I'm just wondering if I should either get the Evga GTX 950 SC or a different card for around £120, I've got a pretty strict budget and £120 is the most I can spend and I've managed to find this card dead on my top end but is it good enough for the price? My brother is not the type of person that plays all of the AAA titles on maxed out settings or anything and he only ever really games at 1920x1080.. This build is mainly for custom zombies on world at war and the other call of Duty games aswell as GTA.. I've already gathered all of the other components for his build but the GPU has had me stumped.. Thanks in advance

KevinS200

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
Oh god no, the 950 is terrible for 120, i just had that card and immediately replaced it.
The 750Ti is 50x better then the 950, the 950 performs very badly in a lot of the games and you can get the 750Ti which performs much better then the 950.
750Ti:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IB9P1KG?keywords=750Ti&qid=1452171840&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Sinistercr0c

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
@KevinS200 - how is that objective advice for the OP? Toms GPU hierarchy chart states explicitly:

"The benefits of a more modern architecture are clear. GeForce GTX 950 is faster than the R7 370, even as it uses less power and is fed by less than 60% of the Radeon’s memory bandwidth. Nvidia charges more for that distinction, so the company has to share its recommendation with AMD’s Radeon R7 370. But both cards easily handle the rigors of gaming at 1920x1080."

The GTX 750 Ti is in no way better than the GTX950 in terms of performance....

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Please ignore this advice. The 950 is considerably better than the 750 ti.

The 950 is a great option for £120.

The assertion that a GTX750Ti is better than a GTX950 is so utterly lacking in merit, that one must ask, was there possibly another interpretation of "950" that did NOT mean "GTX950" such that it might make sense? Otherwise, the only situation where you would choose the GTX750Ti over the GTX950 is if you are extremely power-limited; I'd run a GTX750Ti on a 200W-250W PSU, but wouldn't go below 300W with a GTX950.

logainofhades

Titan

This has to be one of the most incorrect statements, that I have ever seen. If you had a 950 that was performing worse than a 750ti, then you either had a bad card, have a weak PSU, or did something wrong. The 950 trades blows with GTX 760.

If you are going to make statements, than back it up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-950-review

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2973512/components-graphics/nvidia-geforce-gtx-950-review-bringing-more-oomph-to-budget-gaming-pcs.html?page=2

And hundred more benchmarks that show the 950 beats the 750ti in about every benchmark and game out there. It's fine to make claims if you can prove it, otherwise you're giving bad information to people, who in this case, for the same priced cards, would follow your suggestion and enjoy 20-40 LESS FPS because you said. People come here for help and information, not mis-information or "facts" that can't be backed up.

This thread has reminded me how much a lot of you guys have helped me with advice and information, and for that I am thankful. Any suggestions that you have, to help improve my knowledge with upgrading PC's and troubleshooting issues? Please speak freely to me via this thread or PM, even if you have to hand-out a few Tom's Hardware "smack-downs". I can take it, especially if I learn in the process.

The best advice for anyone is to go to TechPowerUp and check out their cumulative performance charts. Tends to eliminate any misconstrued perceptions, and holds more weight than personal opinions.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_950_Xtreme_Gaming/30.html
perfrel_1920.gif

RealBeast

Titan
You will have to check prices at reputable merchants, at Amazon UK it runs £130.34 right now, so you will either have to check other brands or other merchants if 120 is a hard cap for you.

I won't comment on the silly 750Ti post as it seems to have been well covered. :lol:

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Shouldnt you know better than to bump old threads? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.