[SOLVED] GTX 950 SSC fail?

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
Hello!
I built my first gaming rig with the 950 and it lived very happily in my system for quit some time. Then I began to experience a series of blue screens and random freezes. I ran every test I think of to find the cause, updated drivers, removed old software and so on. I started to suspect hardware issues, and considered it was time for an upgrade. I decided to at least upgrade the video card with a 1060 (and later a 1660). The problems ceased!

This didn't prove the 950 was the problem, as I could not "make" it fail under stress but this seemed very likely.

I then ran the card in 2 other systems and it seemed they both experienced problems. The 950 was even more suspect, but I could not prove it beyond a doubt!

I never saw any reported thermal issues with the card, but wondered if taking it apart and reapplying thermal paste would be worth it? I have done this on a lesser card (a GT 730) and it works fine. Or should I just consider retiring the card completely as it served its time very well until now - it's very outdated..

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Which version of the OS are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10)? How old is your PSU? We'll need to know the make and model of the PSU as opposed to the wattage alone.

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I did not post the "customary: system specs because as I stated, the card lived in 3 different systems, with a problem that seems to be common to all. I was merely trying to get an opinion as to whether the the 950 could have thermal problems (not reported by monitoring software) and if it was worth the bother of trying to replace the thermal compound or just give up on the card. That was all.