[SOLVED] gtx 950 upgrade ! 1050ti or 1650 ??

May 16, 2020
So i currently have a Asus Strix gtx 950 2gb with a i5 6400.
I mostly play modern warfare, rb6 siege, gta, and cs go.
I was thinking of upgrading my gpu to a gtx 1050ti or a gtx 1650.

What do you guys think?

Solution
1050 ti - cheaper, but weaker than 1650.
1650 - stronger than 1050 Ti & more expensive, (really stronger, not just a little)
Both can be used well for resolutions 720 to 1080p for any non-VR (usual) games. However, the 1650 would have less problems, while 1050 ti would more likely force u turn down graphics settings. 1650 would also have some better performance if it comes to bigger resolutions.
I guess both can be used for VR games.
Both have variations without a need of 6-or 8-pin cable from PSU.
The 1050 Ti may, or may (even) not give much difference from gtx 950 in a variety of games, especially ones like the low-demanding games u mentioned. It is simply not a very strong 4-gb gpu.
The answer is 1650...
1050 ti - cheaper, but weaker than 1650.
1650 - stronger than 1050 Ti & more expensive, (really stronger, not just a little)
Both can be used well for resolutions 720 to 1080p for any non-VR (usual) games. However, the 1650 would have less problems, while 1050 ti would more likely force u turn down graphics settings. 1650 would also have some better performance if it comes to bigger resolutions.
I guess both can be used for VR games.
Both have variations without a need of 6-or 8-pin cable from PSU.
The 1050 Ti may, or may (even) not give much difference from gtx 950 in a variety of games, especially ones like the low-demanding games u mentioned. It is simply not a very strong 4-gb gpu.
The answer is 1650, but it also depends on ur pocket. 1050 Ti sometimes can be found very cheap.

Solution
The 1050 ti wouldn't be much of a change:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-strix-gtx-950-directcu-ii.b3556
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1050-ti.c2885

However the 1650 would be a bump up in performance:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1650.c3366

But for the price of a 1650, you can probably pick up a used 1060 that will blow the doors off the 1650:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1060-6-gb.c2862

And if you can stretch the budget a bit, a new 1660 will give you a little better performance than a 1060 and be a modern card:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1660.c3365

Of course you could wait just a bit as the gpu upgrade cycle is about to begin again with the newer releases, but that also depresses your 950's resale value so it's a bit of a tradeoff. Hope this helps!

Don't just rely on techpowerup. It shows u some things, but not everything.
The 1050 Ti would feel stronger if the games are more demanding, depending also a little on the sub-version and the brand of the gpu taken.

I'd just get the 1650, just cuz I know it's a very solid card, and my power supply wouldn't have any problems longtime, even though it is not a very strong PSU.

However, pro-players prefer to take something like 1650-Super or a stronger vcard, cuz at 1080p it covers generally anything at any settings, with also beating 1060 with all of its editions.
As for the 1060 itself, if u take one, let it then be the 1060 6GB, as there is a 3 GB-variation, that wouldn't do much of a job.

Waiting depends on patience, if u can, it maybe can go better.

Don't just rely on techpowerup. It shows u some things, but not everything.
The 1050 Ti would feel stronger if the games are more demanding, depending also a little on the sub-version and the brand of the gpu taken.

I'd just get the 1650, just cuz I know it's a very solid card, and my power supply wouldn't have any problems longtime, even though it is not a very strong PSU.

However, pro-players prefer to take something like 1650-Super or a stronger vcard, cuz at 1080p it covers generally anything at any settings, with also beating 1060 with all of its editions.
As for the 1060 itself, if u take one, let it then be the 1060 6GB, as there is a 3 GB-variation, that wouldn't do much of a job.

Waiting depends on patience, if u can, it maybe can go better.
I just use it for the hardware specs and make up my own mind, specifically just looking at pixel and texture rates and memory bandwidth.

Drivers and software will always play a part in the overall performance. But if the hardware can't do it in the first place, that's a hard weakness you can't fix.

There is only a negligible difference in performance between the 1060 3gb and the 1060 6gb from a specifications standpoint, and considering the prices the 3gb version go for used, it presents a tremendous value. In fact, if presented with the 1650 vs a 1060 3gb, the 1060 3gb would still be much faster:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1060-3-gb.c2867

However, this outperformance is limited.
For the most of the time in gaming, a new 1060 3 gb will outperform the 1650 with just 1-6%.
The used one would most likely have lost some performance, this making it almost the same, or worse. Not to mention that 1060s are still among the cards, liked for their mining capabilities. So going for them would better be for a 6 gb-one, tested, and guaranteed to work fine by the seller.
Also, the 1650 is a newer and more durable technology, that will receive updates for a longer period.

What I'd do if I was the OP - just getting the 1650 (or a 1650 super, it is usually just some more dollars and requiring a bit stronger PSU than the usual 1650).

Or can wait till getting the money for a new or used RTX 2060, or better - such a card would resist many years in the 1080p 60+ FPS - "region".

However, this outperformance is limited.
For the most of the time in gaming, a new 1060 3 gb will outperform the 1650 with just 1-6%.
The used one would most likely have lost some performance, this making it almost the same, or worse. Not to mention that 1060s are still among the cards, liked for their mining capabilities. So going for them would better be for a 6 gb-one, tested, and guaranteed to work fine by the seller.
Also, the 1650 is a newer and more durable technology, that will receive updates for a longer period.

What I'd do if I was the OP - just getting the 1650 (or a 1650 super, it is usually just some more dollars and requiring a bit stronger PSU than the usual 1650).

Or can wait till getting the money for a new or used RTX 2060, or better - such a card would resist many years in the 1080p 60+ FPS - "region".
It depends on the software side of it, but the 1030 3gb hardware is clearly faster than the 1650 with 50% more memory bandwidth, 50% faster pixel rate, and 30% faster texture rate. These are BIG hardware differences that only bad drivers could even possibly negate.

Lost some performance?!? What? Either something works or it doesn't. Unless there's a cooling issue or some other defect, a used card should not perform any differently than a new one of the same model. Otherwise people would not buy used cards nor be able to sell them.

Mining? Mining died over a year ago and everyone that had cards already dumped them. It is rare to find a used card that has been mined, and the 6gb variants were more prevalent in mining vs the 3gb.

Just because the 1650 is newer doesn't make it more durable. Newer electronics are not necessarily more durable. I have an old Nokia cell phone that can attest to that.

What I would do if I was the OP--get a 1060 3gb and pocket the almost $50 you saved from buying a 1650 while enjoying better performance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts