GTX 960 and Radeon 5550 at the same time ?

Mtaz

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
i'm currently upgrading my GPU from ATI Radeon HD 5550 2GB DDR3 to Nvidia GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5

the problem is my monitor (Samsung syncmaster b1930) only have VGA port which the gtx haven't so can i run both together to get maximum performance and avoid possibly crappy DVI to VGA converters ?
say like physics on the gtx and monitor on the radeon ? is there bottleneck and incompatibility ? or this is just a stupid idea ?

motherboard: Gigapyte P55-UDL3L
socket:1156
processor: i5-760, 2.80 Ghz, 8MB Cache,LGA1156, 95W
psu: XFX TS 430W 80 plus bronze
ram:G.skill RipjawsX 8GB DDR3 1600 CL9 1.5v

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You can't run 2 disparate video cards. Actually I shouldn't say that, I believe it is possible to get them both running and outputting video on a single system, but one will not run into the other. The only way to use 2 cards together is SLI (2 nVidia cards) or Crossfire (2 AMD cards) and even then thats only for 3d acceleration. You need a new monitor or a converter.

Mtaz

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
yea i know about the SLI and Crossfire techs, i read on the nvidia developer zone https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/457164/cuda-programming-and-performance/fyi-windows-7-can-use-cards-from-multiple-vendors/ a very old post about the possibility of running 2 different vendors gpus at the same time also i read people use this for mining bitcoins so i thought someone would figured out how to do it already, i new it was stupid question thank you anyway.

Jun 1, 2015
Not possible mate. The only way you are going to run two cards is if you motherboard states it supports crossfire or sli
CrossFire = Amd
Sli = Nvidia

Thing about this is they are a lot like rams usually need the same you can't run a 960 with a 970 and definitely not a amd with a nvidia. Last but not the least your psu must support the crossfire or sli no way you can run on a 430w psu. Don't worry we all learn from asking stupid questions. Heck i might have had the same idea a year back mainly due to my ignorance