GTX 960 will not display, is not detected, fans and lights work. Other GPUs work fine and GTX 960 works in another PC.

caveydavey

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
A few months ago I was trying my sons PC parts in my PC for fault finding and when I put mine back together by Gigabyte GTX 670 no longer displayed (no signal). I assumed I broke it with static or whatever, especially as the old HD 6950 I put in worked fine. I got round to replacing the GPU with an ASUS GTX 960 but that one wouldn't display either, no signal at all just black screen.
I've tried the 960 in another PC and it works fine.

I've tried other PSU's, seating and reseating the GPU, checked compatability with the MoBo, removing all drivers and reinstalling, resetting CMOS, BIOS settings (GPU is not shown in BIOS). I assume the MoBo is damaged but I don't understand why the HD 6950 (and other older GPUs) would work if that was the case.
The GPU is not detected by device manager or Geforce experience but fans and lights work normally.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am out of ideas but I don't want to buy a new motherboard just to find that isn't the problem.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P20 (G3)
RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3
PSU: FSP Raider 750W
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 960 OC 4GB GDDR5
Windows 10 64-bit.

Roti-Kebab

Reputable
May 12, 2015

It's hard to say, but it does seem that the issue is with your motherboard, it could be that you may have damaged the pcie slot somehow or it could be a completely different reason. Don't get a new mobo just yet, can you remove your gpu and run on intergrated graphics and see if that works? If it does, please make sure your motherboard is also updated to the latest version.

Roti-Kebab

Reputable
May 12, 2015

It seems to be something related to your mobo not detecting your GPU, as you said, the 960 works when you checked in other pcs and your mobo seems to not detect it, if you have any other pcie 16x lanes, you could place the gpu in them to see if they pick it up.

EDIT:::::::::Sorry, your mobo has no pcie lanes other than the blue one, bummer
could you try someone else's gpu, maybe like an older one if you have one, or borrow one from a friend other than the AMD card you have

caveydavey

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

All AMD ones seem to work - HD 4850, 6950, 7850. Only Nvidia I have is GTX 670 which doesn't display either.

I'm going to put the 960 in another PC with my PSU and give that a go, Then I am truely out of ideas other than replacing the motherboard.
Bios were up to date. Couldn't update the MB driver to latest but I doubt that would cause this.

Roti-Kebab

Reputable
May 12, 2015

It wouldn't be causation but correlation, but yes, i would like you to give that a try, but it is strange your AMD ones work but nvidia dont

Roti-Kebab

Reputable
May 12, 2015

Yeap, it's definitely your motherboard then, i'd recommend you get a new one or get this one RMAed if it's still under warranty

caveydavey

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I notice my PCI express root port is grey'd out on my device manager however, don't know if that something new as I've not noticed it before. Says hardware is not plugged in so it might be nothing or might be I've killed it more by cleaning it. I'll try unistalling and reinstalling

Roti-Kebab

Reputable
May 12, 2015

The most likely cause is that you somehow damaged the slot itself by applying too much force, or it somehow got damaged, maybe because of a bad card installation, but yes, if the 960 works in other mobos, it should in this one too. So it's most likely damaged.

Roti-Kebab

Reputable
May 12, 2015

No problem, if you need help selecting a good motherboard, let me know, cheers :D

TRENDING THREADS