GTX 970 3.5GB Vram Issue

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Over the last few weeks, there have been many, many users reporting that their GTX 970 is having problems when more than 3.5GB vram is allocated.

I have noticed this on my card, with games all happily sitting at 3570MB vram.....they can't all be using that exact amount, can they.

Also, if i force it over that 3.5GB threshold, then I get terrible stutter and crippling frame drops.

Overclock Forums

Guru3d

Official Geforce Forums

i heard of this but some people able to get pass that and still have no stutter or what so ever performance issue with their 970. btw nvidia is looking for it. so just wait for nvidia official response.

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008

Only a random response from a forum moderator has stated that Nvidia are looking into it.

still it is a confirmation that nvidia is looking into the issue.

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008

And, this has been several weeks already since the issue was first highlighted. They should be providing a realistic analysis of their finding and potential solutin, if any exist. The progress made by users in other threads has been impressive....so where is Nvidia now?

How about getting more exposure on another hardware site, thus putting more pressure on Nvidia to actually come up with an acceptable response. Or. is Tom's Hardware not that kind of tech site?

not sure about toms.

from what i can see so far some people have this problem and some others have not. even if it is investigated by another tech site i'm not sure if they can reproduce their problem. is it only affecting a certain card only or is it affecting all 970s out there? but when i first heard about this issue they were talking 970s cannot use all 4GB of it's RAM because it is not a 256bit card (although this has been debunk). then come the complain about the stutter or drop in performance when the card utilize above certain amount of VRAM. but in another forum i see there are people able to use more than 3.5GB of VRAM and still there is no performance issue. i don't have 970 myself so i can't doing my own test.

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Yeah, the more sites that at least question this issue on their homepage, then the more likely Nvidia will give a meaningful response.