GTX 970 500w PSU Essential?

MrChris360HD

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
Im looking into a GTX 970 MSI Gaming 4G Edition, do you have to have a minimum of 500w power supply or is this not essential?

Solution
From Guru3D's review:

Measured power consumption GTX 970

System in IDLE = 120 Watts
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 274 Watts
Difference (GPU load) = 154 Watts
Add average IDLE wattage ~10 Watts
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 164 Watts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 970 or 980 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.

Make sure you have a quality 500+ W PSU. 500W is technically not needed, but it leaves you with good headroom to spare.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
From Guru3D's review:

Measured power consumption GTX 970

System in IDLE = 120 Watts
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 274 Watts
Difference (GPU load) = 154 Watts
Add average IDLE wattage ~10 Watts
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 164 Watts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 970 or 980 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.

Make sure you have a quality 500+ W PSU. 500W is technically not needed, but it leaves you with good headroom to spare.

Solution

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Your PSU only has one six pin PCIE cable. The 970 requires 1 x6pin and 1x 8pin PCIE to run the card.

I would avoid running a molex to six pin adapter to power the 970 since your PSU is mediocre quality and really isn't meant for use in high end systems.

I recommend looking into a new PSU.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Here are a few PSUs I would consider:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2%2Cxfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9%2Cxfx-power-supply-p1650xxxb9/

Includes a non modular, semi modular, and fully modular PSU, the cheapest being non modular.

'' @OP forgot to ask, but do you plan to sli the 970? ''

well now your back to what I said over this

'' well you can use a unit that you worry about things like this with it or you get a unit you don't worry at all and can through anything on the board you want with out coming here and asking advice -- that's all up to you ''

buy once , not once just to find you need to buy again cause the cheap low end / powered you now got and find it may be a issue

whats so hard to understand on that??

space6011

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I would say get a good quality PSU, better to have more power than not enough. Not to mention a faulty PSU could damage other components. Not saying that this EVGA one will, but it's worth thinking about.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

The OP asked what PSU he needed for one GTX 970. I answered his question. I see you're not a native English speaker, so I wasn't sure what you were trying to say, but I guess you meant to buy a PSU ready for 970 sli. Sorry I must have read over that.

On the presumption that he's running one 970, a solid 550W unit would work great. There's no reason to pay for a 750W if he's only using one card. That's why I asked the OP if he plans to run multiple cards, rather than posting answers based on speculation.