GTX 970 compatability

mode jIGGLES

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Hi guys, just joined this site, it has always been my goto site for information on computers
. Just love it! OK so I'm just gonna get to the point now.. I'm currently running an i5 2600k 1155 on a ROG maximus iv gene z mAtx motherboard. With 8gbs of G.Skill Ripjaws 1600. Powered by a 750w PSU. I'm planning to do a custom water loop and upgrade my graphics card while in the process. Will the GTX gigabyte G1 gaming 970 be compatible with this setup? Or would I have to upgrade the PSU to 860/850?and the motherboard as well? Plan to do some overclocking on the cpu and gpu. Want to do 1080p gaming with max settings on the latest games like bf4, gta 5, witcher 3, farcry 4, CSGO etc etc.

Have some space on my budget to upgrade the cpu also if required?
Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Your CPU has plenty life left in it, and will not bottleneck a GTX 970.

Your PSU is fine as Maxwell architecture is energy efficient, heck could possibly run 2 x 970's at a push.

your m/b is gen 2 pcie but wont effect it much at all , maybe 0.2 fps :)

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Your CPU has plenty life left in it, and will not bottleneck a GTX 970.

Your PSU is fine as Maxwell architecture is energy efficient, heck could possibly run 2 x 970's at a push.

your m/b is gen 2 pcie but wont effect it much at all , maybe 0.2 fps :)

Solution

mode jIGGLES

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Cool that's great news buddy ! But I think I still might have change the PSU cos my system sometimes just freezes while playing games @ 1080p with low settings, even get the blue screen of death from time to time. I have sapphire HD 7870 ghz edition gfix card. Thought it might have been some OS issue but I recently did a window 8.1clean install, but still happening. CpuTemps are fairly average around 56-64*c.. Gpu is around 65 degrees.
A friend suggested that iitcould be the PSU causing thistproblem.. Any thoughts or suggestions?