Question GTX 970 idles at 60c on three monitors ?

5900x

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
Recently I bought the BenQ Ex2710Q 27" because I hadn't bought one in 8-9years and was using old BenQ 22" with an Lg 19" in a dual setup with no problems so far with idle temps of 30-35c. But as I just added this new into the mix, the 970 is idling at 60c with no fans (they trigger at 65c) but it doesn't reach that, just sits there at 60c forever.

Resolutions I run are 1440p@144hz on the 27", 900p@75hz on the 22" and 720p@60hz on the 19". I tried setting the same res on all three namely the least common case here that of the LG but nothing changed. Google showed this being a prevalent issue on the 970, some tips being updating drivers, setting max perfomance in Nvidia settings, and one post even claiming this being a feature on an old Nvidia thread.

"This is a "feature" implemented in the drivers. You can read Nvidia's take on it in all driver release PDF files. Fortunately, there's a workaround utilizing the Multi Display Power Saver in Nvidia Inspector. Open Nvidia Inspector, right click on "Show Overclocking", click on "Multi Display Power Saver", select your target GPU, select the Windows Startup function, right click on the "Full 3D Applications" field and add excluded programs (all your 3D game executables). "

I also read that I can run one monitor on the onboard graphics. I would like to try this. Is this just as simple as plugging one cable into the motherboard port?

The driver version I'm on is the most recent previous one 471.68 respectively. I would like to have my old or close to old idles please. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to include the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

There have been users in the past, who thought that the rear display output ports were faulty only to learn courtesy of the community that their board has display output ports but the processor lacked an iGPU to utilize the display ports. That being said, you might want to see if you can ramp up the fans on the GPU to alleviate the GPU temps, the GPU is already on the EoL list of hardware from Nvidia.

BIOS version for your motherboard? OS version(not edition) if on Windows 10? FYI, the most recent driver is 496.49.