Gtx 970 issues in multiple games. Looking for advice on system, or what I can do.

Fizzshire

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Hello, I Can't really handle games struggling to stay at 60 when the setting are set to medium, no clue what's going on. I find PC stuff is a struggle and really complex so any answers that dumb it down would be really nice.

http://imgur.com/jFpMZWg

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Hello!

So what games are you playing? You have a rather old CPU which is a bit of a concern.

Also what temperatures are you getting?

What power supply are you using as well?

Just want to get a good idea of what you have so we can get this problem solved for you :)

Fizzshire

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Hello, It normally runs at ~60-80 depending on what I'm playing. I try arma 2-3, Sleeping dogs, Forza horizon 3 (pc), Mgsv, and City Skylines, Dirt Rally. My Power supply is a corsair CX750

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

Hmm alright.

What graphics settings are you using? Just out of curiosity because if you are asking for MSAA and all of the fancy stuff with your graphics in games then it could be possible that your CPU is a bottlneck.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
The Intel i7-3770k is never a concern by the way. Seriously powerful CPU, won't be the one holding you back.

If MSAA is maxed, it drags down performance indeed but that's on the GPU not CPU.

Arma 2-3 and Watch Dogs are poorly optimised games.

Try a 3DMark Firestrike test and report your score here.

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

Ah ok :)

What do you think is up then? the specs seem fine, maybe an out of date driver or something? Shouldn't have too much of an effect on games...

Fizzshire

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I use what the auto detect wants to use or the GeForce experience tool. I normally need to put them all to low-medium and turn off most things. On a side note, task manager says that the games normaly take 50-72~ % of the CPU with these settings

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
As already mentioned above, try a 3DMark Firestrike synthetic benchmark test. Score should show if your system underperforming somehow.

Which GPU Driver? How do you uninstall old ones?
Games set to optimal performance?
Is your OS a fresh install?

aceofspadesfg

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
Something I usually find helpful is search up (in your case) GTX 970 benchmarks on google, try and find a game that you own, then match the graphics settings in game, and compare the results.

Fizzshire

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Steam is asking me to pay 32$ for this program, are there any alternatives?

Fizzshire

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Thank you very much, I will post the scores when it is done downloading. My GPU drivers are up to date, I don't know how to update cpu. Games are set to optimal in the Gforce program. And My Os is only 2 updates in. from the install.

Fizzshire

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

This is an install from the free upgrade. Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro. I used the USB method for this install, but it ran like this on windows 7 as well.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah, to be honest It's always questionable. Upgrades rather than fresh installs can cause instability in some way, especially when it comes to an Operation system. Everything I run on mine is based on a fresh install. Why? Old drivers from certain parts don't carry over and cause problems. There are no file issues to deal with.

Fizzshire

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

http://imgur.com/aGm4fTi Here you go, it was neat to watch but laggy at times.

Fizzshire

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

It was DirectX 11

'Fire Strike is a DirectX 11 benchmark for high-performance gaming PCs and overclocked systems. Fire Strike is very demanding, even for the latest graphics cards. If your frame rate is low, use Sky Diver instead.'

What is there to do now?