GTX 970 no longer working for 3rd monitor

Deyacht

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
I've been using 2 BenQ GW2760HS monitors without any issue the past year. I recently wanted to add on a 3rd monitor, so I dug up an older Samsung Syncmaster. It popped up and everything was running fine with no issues. I was enjoying the 3-monitor life.

So, recently, I decided to clean around my desk, and figured I'd do some cable management to tidy up how things looked. To my dismay, after doing so, I've now lost the ability to use the 3 monitors. I've attempted using multiple cables, switching the ports/type of cable used for the monitors. And yet, despite that, I can only get one BenQ to recognize and the Syncmaster. It's as if the 2nd BenQ now refuses to be recognized.

I've ruled out that there's a broken monitor based off of two criteria.
1) I've managed to get a signal on either monitor after attempting restarts and cable swaps.
2) I've also tested the ports on the monitors with other devices.

I've attempted reseating my GPU, upgrading drivers, rolling back drivers, completely uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, and so far nothing has shown any signs of working.

Specs:

CPU: i5-4690
RAM: 32GB
GPU: Zotac GTX 970
Driver Version: 372.90

Solution
This may sound silly, but I almost pulled my hair out trying to solve a "dead monitor" issue. I had a 24" AOC that suddenly would show all the menu button lights working, but a black screen no matter what I did. I changed outlets, power strips, cables to and from the computer/monitor and nothing worked. I just happened to double check the power connection in the back of the base and it was pulled out maybe an 1/8" at most. I pushed it in fully and its been working like a champ ever since. This is probably not your answer, but man it would be nice if something that simple worked more than once. Also one other thought, it could be a bad cable that works well on one monitor, but fails to make a decent connection on the other.

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
This may sound silly, but I almost pulled my hair out trying to solve a "dead monitor" issue. I had a 24" AOC that suddenly would show all the menu button lights working, but a black screen no matter what I did. I changed outlets, power strips, cables to and from the computer/monitor and nothing worked. I just happened to double check the power connection in the back of the base and it was pulled out maybe an 1/8" at most. I pushed it in fully and its been working like a champ ever since. This is probably not your answer, but man it would be nice if something that simple worked more than once. Also one other thought, it could be a bad cable that works well on one monitor, but fails to make a decent connection on the other.

Solution