Question GTX 970 not being recognized by Windows

Jan 15, 2022
Hey guys.

So, my friend has a somewhat old PC with a Core i7 (can't remember the generation) and a GTX 970 ROG Strix, running Windows 7.
The card failed earlier today. It stopped sending video signal, and when he booted using the Intel integrated graphics, he says CPU-z doesn't see the card anymore.

We tried installing it on my PC, I have an AMD Ryzen 4650G with only the onboard graphics and Windows 10. When installing it, the lights on the card glow up (mainly to ask me to plug the auxiliar power cable on the GPU), the fans work as normal, but again, no video. I can boot the PC using the onboard graphics, but, again, Windows doesn't even recognize it's existence, it doesn't show in the device manager list.

So, just to confirm: is it dead?

Hey guys.

So, my friend has a somewhat old PC with a Core i7 (can't remember the generation) and a GTX 970 ROG Strix, running Windows 7.
The card failed earlier today. It stopped sending video signal, and when he booted using the Intel integrated graphics, he says CPU-z doesn't see the card anymore.

We tried installing it on my PC, I have an AMD Ryzen 4650G with only the onboard graphics and Windows 10. When installing it, the lights on the card glow up (mainly to ask me to plug the auxiliar power cable on the GPU), the fans work as normal, but again, no video. I can boot the PC using the onboard graphics, but, again, Windows doesn't even recognize it's existence, it doesn't show in the device manager list.

So, just to confirm: is it dead?
What psu do you and he have? If his is old it may not support proper volts any more, is your strong enough to run it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes it's strong enough. A 970 will run on a potato, if all you are looking for is a video signal, or windows etc. It's only in 3d apps, like games, where the full power of the card is accessed.

I'd be inclined to believe a component on the card has finally kicked the bucket.