GTX 970 Owners Get $30 From Settlement With Nvidia, Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

It doesn't work that way. As stated previously, the lawsuit was filed in a US court, and any settlement payout by Nvidia is only for the citizens/customers of the US. You would need to file a lawsuit in your nation or get a group of people together to do it in your nation to get action from Nvidia. Maybe it takes a class action EU lawsuit there from the majority of nation filers...I don't know anything about how Finnish and EU laws interact. Good luck.

schiwing

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

What do you mean when they "fixed" the advertisements? They still list the cards as having 4GB of GDDR5.
MSI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832&ignorebbr=1
GIGABYTE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684&ignorebbr=1
EVGA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487088&ignorebbr=1
ASUS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121899&ignorebbr=1
ZOTAC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362&ignorebbr=1

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Isn't $30 a bit much for half a gig? I'd think $10 or less would be about right. How much did the 4GB GTX760 cost versus the 2GB model?

Seriously? Because the GPU still has 4GB of physical memory on the PCB. That is not a lie.

The lawsuit filers came to that $30 number based on the cost of the original card and the loss of performance from the originally referenced specs. That info is broken down in the lawsuit document:

"While there are various formulations of recovery, focusing on the concept of comparing the value of what was advertised as compared to the value of what was received, given that the GTX 970 carries “an average retail price of approximately $350,” a cash payment of $30 for each Unit would constitute approximately 8.6% of the purchase price. One of the primary misrepresentations at issue is that the GTX 970 does not operate with a full 4 gigabytes of RAM, but rather with a 3.5 GB pool of RAM and a decoupled and less performant 0.5 GB spillover segment that operates at one-seventh the speed of the main pool.

Accordingly, Settlement Class Members allege they were shortchanged on 0.5 GB of their 4 GB of RAM, or about 12.5%. However, because the final [0.5 GB segment] runs at a materially slower rate than the first 3.5 GB, the GTX 970 devices do not function as if they have a full 4 GB of memory, a material selling point and characteristic for these devices. Thus, as one measure of recovery Settlement Class Members could expect to receive $43.75 on average (which is 12.5% of $350) if they were successful at trial. In this way, a [more realistic] recovery of $30 would represent approximately 70% of the anticipated value of these claims."

^^And take note that $30 settlement for each 970 buyer has not been officially/legally accepted on record by Nvidia yet. That cannot emphasized enough.

Nate_K

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
I got my 970 last year in march, I never filled out the warranty, still nothing wrong with the card but because I did not file within 90 days of purchase I am ineligible for EVGA's step-up program. I'd rather have access to the trade up than the $30 back. But of course since I didn't file in that 90 days, I'll probably never see either for being an owner that never had a problem..

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Sold mine off fer two 980 Ti's a while back, due to my 970's VRAM starting to show limitations in certain titles, not because of the 3.5 VRAM fiasco... The physical limitation for me was a real-deal, so they had to go.

My 980 Ti SLI purchase is a so-called "non-recommended" upgrade within the same series of GPU according to some, but at least I know my current GPU's do indeed HAVE their advertised VRAM and are a much improved upgrade to what I had before.

Now, eyeballing the upcoming Pascal Titan X, once performance numbers and benches are posted.

McWhiskey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Newegg just sent out a notice. The list of cards they reference is far greater than just the 970. Check it out here:

http://blog.newegg.com/nvidia-gtx-970-class-action-lawsuit/

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
This from Newegg today.

Dear _____,

We have been informed about a class action lawsuit settlement with NVIDIA regarding the GTX 970 graphics card. Newegg is currently awaiting details about the settlement claims process (instructions, website). Once we have this important information, we will send you a follow-up email with the specifics on how you can submit your claim.

If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please don't hesitate to contact Newegg Customer Service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,
Your Newegg Customer Support Team

3ogdy

Distinguished

Yes, it will, as follows:
6700_03_msi_geforce_gtx_970_4gb_twin_frozr_v_gam.jpg

No ducks were harmed and no ducks were given in the making of this trickery, for duck's sake.

3ogdy

Distinguished

I wonder what your reaction would be like if your boss told you the same thing whenever you receive your salary. $3.5 grand rounded off is $4 grand, so take $3.5 grand from here and don't complain. Oh, the other $500 will be made up for in wet and nearly destroyed dollar bills. Those would barely be of any use. It's still $4000 at the end of the day...I mean ...month. It's just the way our company works...it was just a little detail we forgot to mention when we talked about your contract.
"Now shut up and get to work for me." - said nVidia.

Frostymaine

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
Newegg contacted me directly with a canned e-mail:

We have been informed about a class action lawsuit settlement with NVIDIA regarding the GTX 970 graphics card. Newegg is currently awaiting details about the settlement claims process (instructions, website). Once we have this important information, we will send you a follow-up email with the specifics on how you can submit your claim.

If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please don't hesitate to contact Newegg Customer Service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,
Your Newegg Customer Support Team

Status
Not open for further replies.