[SOLVED] GTX 970 - Power Supply question

phatchange

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Hello everyone. I hope all of you are feeling alright.

I have a question.... I am planing to upgrade my GPU from GTX 750 TI to GTX 970 . So ... I was wondering, my Power Supply has 1x 6pin power connector while the GTX 970 has 2x 6pin . What kind of cable/adapter/ do I need to buy to make this work? What is the name of the cable, may I have a link of a product that is required to make this work?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Okay, thanks for the advice. Let's say in worst case scenario if this was my only option , or if I simply didn't need to change my PSU... which cable/power adapter would you say is needed for my situation. Again: we are just talking here, trying to decide what to do
I would never recommend trying this under any circumstances. That psu is inadequate and overloading a low quality psu is dangerous. Not only do you risk damaging all components in the pc if the psu fails but in extreme cases with low quality psu’s there is actually a fire risk.

phatchange

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Not having the right connectors is a strong sign the psu is inadequate. Generally adapters are not recommended. What is the make and model of the psu?
The PSU is 450W model is Gembird ( I know, its not one of the great brands but I've been using this PSU for two pcs now and I've never had any issue ) . I read that the wattage is fine and all just the problem is like I said the connectors.

I would like to help u with your question " what is the make of it ? but I don't quite understand what u mean with this " Is this the paper sheet that is on the psu itself?

If your psu is this one it is definitely not adequate. https://gembird.com/item.aspx?id=9784

The manual for the linked psu states it can only provide 320w on the 12v rail. A good quality psu can deliver nearly all its power on the 12v rail. This psu has a 450w sticker but at best should be thought of as a 350w psu using its own spec.

Now I have not mentioned quality which is equally important. I don’t know Gembird but it has all the signs of a very poor quality psu. The fact it has been used in other PC’s before is more reason to change. PSU components deteriorate with age and usage increasing the risk of failure and damage to other components including the new gpu. My recommendation is get a known good quality 450w or 550w psu.

phatchange

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
If your psu is this one it is definitely not adequate. https://gembird.com/item.aspx?id=9784

The manual for the linked psu states it can only provide 320w on the 12v rail. A good quality psu can deliver nearly all its power on the 12v rail. This psu has a 450w sticker but at best should be thought of as a 350w psu using its own spec.

Now I have not mentioned quality which is equally important. I don’t know Gembird but it has all the signs of a very poor quality psu. The fact it has been used in other PC’s before is more reason to change. PSU components deteriorate with age and usage increasing the risk of failure and damage to other components including the new gpu. My recommendation is get a known good quality 450w or 550w psu.
Okay, thanks for the advice. Let's say in worst case scenario if this was my only option , or if I simply didn't need to change my PSU... which cable/power adapter would you say is needed for my situation. Again: we are just talking here, trying to decide what to do

I would never recommend trying this under any circumstances. That psu is inadequate and overloading a low quality psu is dangerous. Not only do you risk damaging all components in the pc if the psu fails but in extreme cases with low quality psu’s there is actually a fire risk.

Reactions: Juan_Bijero
Solution

phatchange

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Okay. Would you like to recommend me any power supplies that would be good for the GTX 970 and also not that expensive ?

Okay. Would you like to recommend me any power supplies that would be good for the GTX 970 and also not that expensive ?
You can’t go cheap with psu’s for gaming PC’s. The psu spends long periods of time under high load (gaming) and needs to be reasonable quality. For a system running a 970 I would not go lower quality than a Corsair CX550 or maybe CX450. I’d try to go with the CX550 for the extra headroom.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
You really need 550 Watt PSU. If you need to save money, go with a non-modular PSU that is from a reputable company. I have a Corsair CX750M PSU that is sitting in a drawer, for the sole reason that it was less reliable than my Thermaltake Toughpwer Grand 850 Watt PSU - and this was running an Asus Strix GTX 970 video card.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
You might be better off getting a 1050Ti instead of a 970. It will still be an upgrade, but only require a 6-pin connector at most and some cards don't require an external power cable at all. My Zotac card doesn't. You won't have to upgrade your power supply, so you'll save some money on that, too.

Last edited: