GTX 970 reaching 80 degrees

G

My GTX 970 is reaching 75-80 degrees under load and I'm afraid I may fry my new card.What can I do to cool it down? I want to bring it down to 70 degrees MAX

Solution
That GPU is rated for 98° C, so you've nothing to worry about. If you want to lower the temperature then you can install a side intake fan assuming your case and motherboard can support it.
G

Can u suggest what fan should I install? And I don't want to use MSI after burner or something like that

G

I have the Zotac edition and my case is not so good one.i was afraid and stopped playing.My card is at 50-60 degrees when idle lol

My case is as budget as you can get but its is total fine, As long as your room temp is around 15-20C and have decent air flow in your case you should be fine.

What are you playing when this happens?

Also the Zotac version has known issues of over-heating..

G

I play in a room about 30-35 degrees (going to shift to an ac room soon so it will be around 15-20)
I was playing Assassins creed syndicate and noticed the heat by touching the CPU and then checked the temp with firestorm and MSI after burner...it's gets to the same temp even while playing fallout 4

You are fine at 80, 85 i'd get concerned.

The way to improve it is with afterburner or similar.

Essentially the default fan profile sacrifices temperature for the benefit of lower noise, so it won't get loud until it really needs to. Hence they will run close to the limit, but they are designed for it. They assume that everyone can hear, but most people don't watch temps.

G

But still I'd like to cool it down....make 70 degrees the max

G

I just tried with MSI afterburner,set the fan % to 80 and 90 but didn't notice much difference and then came here,created an account and started this

G

So is it just the room? What if I manage to bring the room temp to around 20 degrees.How much can the GPU temp get reduced?

How can you even sit there with a GPU using fans at near 80%+ I set my GPU to 100% when I first got it to check the fans were fine and god it was loud. I put it back to default and it quiet as ever at 60C full load no problems. I think its just that he picked the worst GTX 970 for his room temp. high room temp + zotacs high temps = just bad temps alround.

You should either get air conditioning or get a different GTX 970 like the Gigabyte, MSI or Asus one as the Zotac is the worst one you could of got.

Have you got any evidence for zotacs overheating, over and above any other card manufacturer? Unless it is hitting 92C it is not overheating. If you are suggesting that there are cards that run cooler, then this may well be true, but this is the card that he has got.

G

I know :( my original plan was to get Gigabyte windforce but it was not available so I had to take this one.It will be kept in an ac room soon but I guess it will still be 75-80 under load.

G

Another thing I forgot to mention that when I used the MSI afterburner the temps are "seen" as the same but I "felt" it was cooler? Didn't satisfy me so I came here.I don't think I can do anything now,just replace my case or install new fan(s) can u suggest me some?

G

My case ...it says Gmax Gm-9205c...I googled it but found nothing but helmets (lol) but by looking at my case I can say that there is not enough aeration and I'm going to shift my pc to 20 degrees room soon and I don't know what fans are installed there sorry but I know that they are old like 7-8 years old and I dont have any intake fans...but only one for PSU,two for GPU and one for overall or CPU (I don't know much about these fans and stuff)