GTX 970 SLI and AMD R9 295x2 Situation

amanfr01

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
Hey everyone. Here's my situation:

I currently have in my possession two GTX 970's that can be used for SLI. After discovering the 3.5GB VRAM issue, I decided to change. I currently use a 1080p 144hz monitor, and I want to ensure I get a solid framerate on max settings, which is why I'm doing the dual card setup. That being said, I'm currently trying to refund/sell them, and in the mean time have purchased an AMD R9 295x2.

However, upon more research after buying it, I'm not sure if this 295x2 is ideal for games. Things seem to be NVidia exclusive, but I don't have the cash to replace it and buy two 980's as a single 980 would be subpar performance to the 295x2.

That being said, I seem to have two options:

1.) RMA/Return the 295x2, since I literally bought it less than a week ago, and keep the 970's for the time being.

OR

2.) Sell the GTX 970's and hold out with the 295x2 until a higher performance/VRAM card comes out with NVidia.

I like things like HBAO+ and whatnot, which is a shame that the 970 setup was suffering from post 3.5GB stuttering.

I'm just looking to have stable gameplay with high/stable framerates on max/ultra settings with my monitor. That's all I want, and I am tired of running around in circles with these GPU's.

Anyone have any thoughts?

dovah-chan

Honorable
Wait for the 380X to come out which will most likely cause prices to drop and see what direction the market goes from there. It's expected to launch this month actually.

I almost bought a 295X2 but then I realized I'd need at least a $170 PSU to run it properly and since I want to do a custom loop a backplate and block would cost an extra $250. (for a 290X it averages around $150 for both the block and backplate)

Not to mention the high frame variance time issues it suffers from and the general instability/poor scaling and support that surrounds SLI and crossfire very often was just a turn off. Also I can't imagine the heat two 290Xs would pump into my room T_T

Also the only game so far to hit over 4GB was shadow of mordor at like 10220x1440.

Revan1

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
Keep those cards man. Your running a 1080p monitor, you will never use up to 3.5 gb vram in any game. You wont even get close. If you were running 4k res or maybe even 1440p on some games you might push 3.5 but not at 1080p.

amanfr01

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014

My only concern is the RMA time frame from Newegg with the 295x2. Would it be better to RMA this and truck through stuttering with 970 SLI setup and wait for the next NVidia cards? Or sell the 970's and keep the 295x2 in my possession until better cards come out. My concern is the longterm, as well as driver/Crossfire stability.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Single card setups are the safest. Less expensive, less heat, less driver issues, no need to worry if it's supported in games, and frees up more slots for other things as well as let's you dip money into other components that might not receive as much attention.

amanfr01

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014

Should I get a refund on the 295x2, then? Save the money for the next single card? I just didn't think a single card would work well enough for a 144hz 1080p monitor.

dovah-chan

Honorable
It depends on the game really. Most people get 144Hz monitors for competitive games like CS:GO or DOTA 2. If you're planning to take advantage of it in games like Crysis 3 then you're out of luck since even 2 way configs struggle at max details/4X MSAA or more at 1080p. Really a 270X is the lowest card required to run recent Source games at over 200fps.

I'm also suspecting the 380X to match/surpass the 980 in performance and probably go for around $470 MSRP. (competitive pricing you know)

Revan1

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

5 YEARS? he didnt say hes using the cards for that amount of time. good luck future proofing your graphic cards for 5+ years

I'm not sure how your logic model led you to the conclusion that a 295x2 would be a better option. In addition to lower performance, you lose your DirectX 12 compatibility, PhysX, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, TXAA, MFAA, DSR, your Nvidia drivers and game compatibility, all while using more power and generating more heat. A lot of people are getting swept up into the hype of the incorrect specs, which is leading to emotional decisions that aren't necessarily better choices.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_970_SLI/20.html
perfrel_1920.gif