gtx 970 vram limitations

shunkaNL

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
i was planning to buy an asus strix gtx 970 oc edition. but then i saw people complaing about a bug with the vram. so i did some research and found out that nvidia disabled 1 of the 8 l2 caches but left the MC enabled, causing the card to have 4gb of vram, but making the last l2 cache work twice as hard when using above 3.5gb of vram. this means that going above 3.5 gb of vram wil decrease preformance. (i hope i explained it right). so my question is: is buying the gtx 970 stil worth it since games in the future wil most likely start to use more vram.

Iamsoda

Distinguished

1080p =100fps+ smooth sailing. Sli or 1440p+ setup = stuttering issues.

Really? My SLi'd 970's don't have any stuttering issues that I'm aware of.

Iamsoda

Distinguished

That would be aka no DSR and low AA.

shunkaNL

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
wel, the awnsers i've had so far aren't really helping me to much. again, most game at the moment should not be a problem but games in the future wil most likely use more then 3.5 gb vram. and im not the kind of person that can upgrade his hardware in one day. for me it takes time to get enough money so im planning to keep this card as long as possible.

shunkaNL

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

i have a sapphire radeon hd 7850 2gb edition. it can run most games at high to ultra setting no problem. but newer games like gta v (pc) are not playable unless i turn the graphics down. i like to play games at max settings unless its a feature that kills the fps and doesnt make a lot of difference when looking at the screen. the gtx 970 can run grand theft auto v max settings no problem (if im not mistaken). but again, games in the future wil most likely use more vram and the performance issue after going above 3.5 g vram would be rather annoying. getting a monitor that has a very high resolution for instance would be a problem.

i would try to hang it out till we see what the new amd cards bring

though if you got a gtx970 dont think you would have much problem selling it to get a new card without losing too much money

my msi gtx970 is actually selling new for £30 more than when i bought it so these cards are holding value second hand really wel