gtx 970 vram

Jun 1, 2018
hi , I am about to buy a gtx 970 , but i found in the internet problem with vram 3.5 and 0.5 , whats that problem and there is no solution to fix it ?

Solution
Yeah, it's not a "problem", Nvidia designed the card that way for specific reasons. Like so many technical things, if you want to understand the design, check out Anandtech's write-up: https://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

The "problem" was that Nvidia initially published incorrect specs for the card and only corrected the issue when enough users had discovered it and generated interest. Many argue it was innocent oversight, some contend that Nvidia deliberately misled the press and public. We'll never know for sure.

In any case, the GTX 970 is still a really good card and remains one of the best selling GPUs of all time. It's just that the last 500MB of VRAM is...
Yeah, it's not a "problem", Nvidia designed the card that way for specific reasons. Like so many technical things, if you want to understand the design, check out Anandtech's write-up: https://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

The "problem" was that Nvidia initially published incorrect specs for the card and only corrected the issue when enough users had discovered it and generated interest. Many argue it was innocent oversight, some contend that Nvidia deliberately misled the press and public. We'll never know for sure.

In any case, the GTX 970 is still a really good card and remains one of the best selling GPUs of all time. It's just that the last 500MB of VRAM is significantly slower than the first 3.5GB VRAM. Generally that doesn't matter at all, but if you look hard enough you can find edge cases where it makes a pretty big difference. Nevertheless, it's still a solid gaming card.

Solution

it's not a problem. simply nvidia design the card that way to improve yield. some games might have issues when accessing the last 0.5GB in the form of slight stuttering from time to time but to my experience it is a very rare case in many games that can use 4GB of VRAM even at 1080p. 970 is a very capable card. most often people comparing the card to 1060 3GGB but in reality majority of factory overclocked 970 is almost as fast as factory overclocked 1060 6GB.