gtx 970 vs. radeon r9 290 vs. r9 390

AlexR19

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
Thanks in advance for any help. Here's the deal: I have an XFX double dissipation radeon r9 290, and am looking to upgrade. Processor is an i5- 4690, and I have 16 gb of 1600mhz ram. Motherboard is an MSI z97 gaming 5. I want to know, purely performance wise, what is the best. Msi/Nvidia gtx 970, or r9 390. Also, if someone could compare that to my current r9 290 that would be wonderful. I don't care about price, power consumption, or noise, though comments about power consumption would be noted.Thanks guys!

Solution
I don't see why not. No one can say for sure at this point what they'll cost, but it's probably safe to assume they'll release a variety of cards at different price points, same as every other generation. Pretty much guaranteed both companies will have at least one or two cards for less than 400.

chedda87

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
I honestly doubt you will see any difference in gaming, maybe 5-10 fps @1080p. I would suggest your upgrade path should be a 980/980ti or AMD Fury.... If these are out of budget maybe hold off until Pascal release

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Doesn't make much sense to upgrade to a R9 390, it's essentially a factory-overclocked R9 290 with an extra 4 GB of VRAM (which you won't need unless you're crossfiring). Won't see that much of a performance boost going to the GTX 970 either. You have a pretty good card, might as well at least wait until Polaris/Pascal are out.

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
^^^ What he said ^^^

There's a ton of articles and comparisons out there with frame rates in different games. These two cards are direct competitors and you'll basically find that each will perform maybe just a touch better than the other in different games.

Since you brought up power consumption, which also correlates with heat generation, from the R9 290 and up in the AMD line you're talkin about a lot of both. The NVidia cards really start to separate themselves from the 970 and up especially with heat & power.

AlexR19

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016

what is Pascal and Polaris?

AlexR19

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016

Id like to stay below 400$, will that be possible with either? I realize all you can do is speculate, but you probably know a lot more than I.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see why not. No one can say for sure at this point what they'll cost, but it's probably safe to assume they'll release a variety of cards at different price points, same as every other generation. Pretty much guaranteed both companies will have at least one or two cards for less than 400.

Solution