GTX 980 for 1080p Gaming

SpaceXD

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Hi :D I'm looking for help on gaming at 1080p. I would like to buy a Palit Super JetStream GTX 980 (Which is the only GTX 980 im considering due to its price) so if anyone has any experience with Palit and what this card can do it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S Im aware this card is targeted at resolutions above this but 1080p is fine for me. Until I am an adult and have a job and what not 4K gaming doesn't intrest me and neither does 1440p (unless that is the same thing, im not to sure)

Thank you :)

Solution
No I don't have any experience with Palit, sorry. I have experience with Sapphire, XFX, Gigabyte, PowerColor, MSI, EVGA, HIS, & Others over the years, but not Palit (I'm in the U.S. and I don't think Palit is available here).

As far as your proposed build, it looks pretty good. I don't recommend SLI/Xfire builds, since by the time you get around to wanting to upgrade to another GPU, there is usually a single card option that makes more sense.

Also you require to spend more on:
* Mobo to support 2x cards
* PSU to handle 2 x cards
* Better cooling options to deal with the added heat

Also not all games take advantage of 2x cards, so you sometimes to get the advantages of having 2 cards.

Just a few thoughts to consider.
The GTX 980 is overkill for 1080p gaming, IMHO, but what is the rest of your system that you have?

The resolutions are:

1920 x 1080 = 1080p
2560 x 1440 = 1440p
3840 x 2160 = 4k

So 1440p isn't 4k resolution, just so you know :)
1440p is a very good resolution for the 980, IMHO :)

SpaceXD

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015

Hi, thank you for answering, the rest of my system should be

intel i5-4690K
DDR3 Ram at 8GB 1600Mhz
1TB HDD with a 240GB SSD
750W PSU and a MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Mobo :)

Will this be fine (Im sure it will but id love your opinion) and like I said before, any experience with Palit?

(the SLI Plus part of the mobo is for future purpose, i plan on SLI"ing" the 980.

daniel_blacke

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015

As lunyone pointed out, the GTX 980 is already overkill for 1080p. So, going SLI with 980's is at best pointless and at worst counter-productive considering to possibility of games that are not optimized for SLI.

No I don't have any experience with Palit, sorry. I have experience with Sapphire, XFX, Gigabyte, PowerColor, MSI, EVGA, HIS, & Others over the years, but not Palit (I'm in the U.S. and I don't think Palit is available here).

As far as your proposed build, it looks pretty good. I don't recommend SLI/Xfire builds, since by the time you get around to wanting to upgrade to another GPU, there is usually a single card option that makes more sense.

Also you require to spend more on:
* Mobo to support 2x cards
* PSU to handle 2 x cards
* Better cooling options to deal with the added heat

Also not all games take advantage of 2x cards, so you sometimes to get the advantages of having 2 cards.

Just a few thoughts to consider.

Solution

SpaceXD

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015

Its fine dude, In all the advice ive been given I will probably downgrade the mobo to a good board that isnt SLI capable, then the rest of the build should be ok (I could also maybe upgrade somewhere else with the money saved) ;) ) thank you.

SpaceXD

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015

I mention that in the list above ;) 240GB SSD :)