GTX 980 ti FPS drops

Penile

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
On some games I seem to get weird fps drops for seemingly no reason at all, which is weird, especially with a GPU as powerful as the 980ti.

On league of legends, for example, I will sometimes get fps drops from 200 to 45 in big team fights - it's not often but when it does happen it's very annoying.

Also, when I play on the kronos vanilla wow server I will every now and then get fps dropping from 250-300 to 70-80. This doesn't seem a problem, but it creates a stutter for 1-2 seconds that is highly noticeable.

Even on super graphically undemanding games, like lego star wars, I get this weird fps drop for a few seconds which causes a stuttering.

This happens across all game titles and I have no idea what to do at all.

I have the Nvidia 362.00 driver installed.

I have an i7-4790k cpu.

Solution
Tracking down the problem will take some serious logging.

CPU load, CPU temp, GPU temp, GPU load, Disk I/O, Disk Load, Disk Temp, Memory utilization, Network up/down, etc.

Since you aren't capping your framerate in anyway, that means any dip in any response time is going to filter up and show in the FPS.

If you have overclocked anything, also consider that your system could be recovering from faults.

Always recommend throwing a memtest, furmark, intel speed test/Prime95 at the system to see if it hiccups there as well.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Tracking down the problem will take some serious logging.

CPU load, CPU temp, GPU temp, GPU load, Disk I/O, Disk Load, Disk Temp, Memory utilization, Network up/down, etc.

Since you aren't capping your framerate in anyway, that means any dip in any response time is going to filter up and show in the FPS.

If you have overclocked anything, also consider that your system could be recovering from faults.

Always recommend throwing a memtest, furmark, intel speed test/Prime95 at the system to see if it hiccups there as well.

Solution