GTX 980 ti into an HP Z820

Videowilk

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
I am trying to install a GTX 980 ti in my Z820, and cannot see how it will fit. I removed the additional slot cover, but there is still a small metal strip across the two empty slots. Won't that get in the way? Can that be removed?

My system specs:
HP Z820,
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit,
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2670
64GB Samsung DDR4 RAM,
Formerly dual Quadro 400 cards - trying to update
8TB RAID 5 array
300GB Intel series 320SSD
Additional 480 GB SSDs in lower slots.

Solution

If you are buying an adapter, then don't worry about anything. The connectors have some weird shapes on each pin that make it fit...

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
If you face any problems it would be lengthwise. These proprietary bs cases are specifically designed to not be upgraded. I would open the case before buying and measuring carefully how much space there is between the back of the case and the hdd cages. Allow for some headroom of course. 980ti tend to be quite huge, so be careful.

Videowilk

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
Hi - thank you for quick responses!

It will fit lengthwise, but now my issue is the power:
The 980 ti "manual" shows both the 6-pin and 8-pin molex ports being connected. I have only two (visible) 6-pin cables, used previously for my dual Quadro 4000s. There's an adapter cable with the card, but that would take both 6-pin supplies into the single 8-pin port, leaving the 6-pin with no connection. Do I need to investigate the other side of the HP Z820 and look for an 8-pin power connector?

Thank you

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
If the cables are all tied in together then maybe there is a connector hidden in there. Generally the quadro has a far smaller power consumption than the 980ti.

As a prebuilt that would translate in a power supply that can power that specific system. It is highly advised that you upgrade the power supply for something a little bit more stable and safe. In your position i would definitely buy something like the evga g2 650w or something equivalent.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016

I watched 2 teardowns and it seems like it doesn't have any other connectors hidden anywhere. Just buying another PSU as CBender suggests won't work because you have a workstation with a custom case that won't fit another PSU. If you are comfortable with cutting the wires, you could in theory make your own cable. What would worry me is if the PSU actually has the power for the whole system, but they usually give them a little extra just in case.

The simple approach would be to get one of this:

https://www.salland.eu/newfiles/product/07/50/75084.jpg

But still, if you could take a picture of the PSU and post it here where we can see the 12V rail's AMPs, that would be good. Just because a connector fits, doesn't mean it should be used in certain way.

Videowilk

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
I neglected to say I do have an upgraded 1125W power supply.

I watched 2 teardowns and it seems like it doesn't have any other connectors hidden anywhere. Just buying another PSU as CBender suggests won't work because you have a workstation with a custom case that won't fit another PSU. If you are comfortable with cutting the wires, you could in theory make your own cable. What would worry me is if the PSU actually has the power for the whole system, but they usually give them a little extra just in case.

The simple approach would be to get one of this:

https://www.salland.eu/newfiles/product/07/50/75084.jpg

But still, if you could take a picture of the PSU and post it here where we can see the 12V rail's AMPs, that would be good. Just because a connector fits, doesn't mean it should be used in certain way.[/quotemsg]

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016

[/quotemsg]

I just found an HP document where it says that model can have a 850W or the 1125W PSU you are talking about. Considering the rest of the components, you should be just fine with the adapter I said, but if you don't want to buy another one, you could just make it with the one you already have and cutting it with the proper pinout information.

Videowilk

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
Yes, I have the 1125w power supply. I am not comfortable making/cutting a cable. Amazon has one for $7 US (I'm in Florida)... how can I be sure of the pin configurations??
Directions say: Connect one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express auxiliary power connectors to the top edge of the GeForce GTX 980 Ti graphics card. Note that the connectors and sockets on the graphics card have a unique shape and connect one way only.
Here is that link: http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/EVGA_Graphics_Manual_English.pdf

I also found a manual: http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce-gtx/GTX_980_Ti_User_Guide.pdf

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016

If you are buying an adapter, then don't worry about anything. The connectors have some weird shapes on each pin that make it fit only one way. You can't fit them wrong. Also, there's that little clip thing that secures the connector to the cable, as long as those 2 match their positions, it should get in with no problem. The same applies to the adapter.

Solution