GTX 980 ti vs GTX 1070

D J Lee

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
I have been wanting the Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1, but it rarely stays in stock. The card costs $429. Newegg has a GTX 980 ti on their shell shocker deal for $369. At this price, would it be worth getting a 980ti over the 1070? I play Overwatch competitively, as well as RPG's like Guild Wars 2. I don't typically play AAA games, but will be getting Battlefield 1 this fall. I play at 1080p 144hz with G Sync. Thanks!

dsr07mm

Distinguished

Can't help myself not to comment this. Those benchmarks are so wrong. And they are referent cards. I myself sold my gtx980Ti and added 80$ more for 1070. If I'm not lucky and I dont get good clocker card I got less performance. But since this might be my last purchase related to PC hardware I wanted to have new with extra 2gb vram and potential benefits further on dx12.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016
I would go with 1070 over 980 ti for multiple reasons. More Vram, less power, less heat, more OC headroom, newer technologies (including SMP for better VR performance if u ever get into that), smaller process node (980 ti 28nm vs 1070 16nm) and better directx 12 performance. Not to mention that nvidia SUPPOSEDLY (take this statement with jar of salt) gimps previous generation video cards over time via video drivers.

It isn't gibberish. I know they will likely fix it, but dx12 and async on the 900 series at the moment. Some people also care about power draw and heat/quietness depending on their rig and use. I'd agree at this top end of the market it's likely we are talking gaming rigs, but when two cards are closely matched other things can be a decided.

So sorry, respectfully disagree!

Also: https://www.vrfocus.com/2016/05/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-1070-980-ti-980-970-comparison-guide/

100w tdp less for similar performance is not to be sniffed at. I know that's tdp and not actual draw but still..

You realise that the DX12 performance like the AMD cards require hardware added to NVIDIA cards which they dont have. A 980 Ti system would draw 300 to 350 W max after efficiency has been included.

Truth is, a 500W PSU is overkill for all single GPU systems made in the last 3 years. And a 100W would hardly impact the power bill unless it's calculated unrealistically. Heat output is a different matter, but then again all PC's emit heat and basically heat up a room equally as much.

If paying 16% more for 10% more performance is something OP is after, then by all means. However, a 980 Ti is enough, and you're paying less despite the performance difference.

Pijomir

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Agree.

And please stop comparing with reference 980ti as in most reviews. If you check, for instance gigabyte g1, reviews for one and the same brands and models 980ti and 1070, you'll see that 980tis are even a little bit faster than 1070s in most games. At the end the performance difference is negligible. So in this case i would go for 980ti because of the better price.

dsr07mm

Distinguished
Benchmarks are not done by cracking all options up and then showing FPS. Nobrainer in most situations. There is pattern for games and there is reason why some options are not maxed out in "official" benchs.

Anyhow after 24 hours of playing, overclocking and learning how Pascal works with Boost 3.0, I found that it's easier to overclock 1070 by far and find stable clock, YET GPU Boost 3.0 will be pain in the ass if you dont have water cooling and you are under 50c constantly. On air, on 55/60 and 65c you will lose 12-15mhz everytime, on 70c extra 10-15mhz for no reason again because all those temp points are in safe margin but GPU Boost 3.0 brain..

980Ti is much better overclocker and you gain more performance per overclock by far, it's harder to find highest stable numbers but it's worth. As past owner of G1 980Ti week ago, and now G1 1070 owner, I must say that 980Ti is better card despite slightly higher numbers in syntethic benchmarks on side for 1070. GTX1070 is getting those numbers only due to high memory clock, like +1000-1200mhz easily, while 980Ti is getting everything through core clock which is more important by far at current stage of gaming.

In Crysis 3, 1080p 8xMSAA etc etc, performances are pretty much same, only game where gtx1070 can benefit is GTA5. Overall if I have both cards on table now, I would use my old 980Ti with 1500/7600 overclock without thinking.

P.S They were telling me that 980Ti is overkill on my 1080p60hz TV yet I had framedrops here and there in Division, Witcher 3 or Homefront. In RoTR aswel due to bad optimization.

My overclock is on 2050mhz/9200mhz at the moment (+110/+600/111% Power Limit/ No Voltage), yet after playing I drop to 2020mhz. Why I lose 30mhz ? Because my card is going up to 62c, so on 55c and 60c points I lose couple mhz. On 980Ti only "trottle" was 60c and -15mhz, nothing else. I hate that oscilating especially in 3dmark where core clock is going from 1990 to 2050 left and right.

They have thermal throttle in the drivers. It's bad because you can't damage a GPU from heat that easily. This approach ensures more money in the long run.

If there was a limit like the CPUs, then 90 C would always be the beginning of throttling, until they reach 100 C which is when they shut down to prevent damage.

Overall, that's a shady move to increase sales from the enthusiast market. But it also makes overclocking that much easier. Its a double edged sword.

dsr07mm

Distinguished
Much easier but not effeciant in terms of performance. Why would card downclock on 55/60 or 65c ? Even 70c is safe but I would understand 70c. I'm basically forced to play on 60hz monitor with vsync to keep card under 65c on air. And with speed which they are developing new graphics cards I don't think that there is a need for longer duration from what we already had. I would preffer hot AMD card on 85c then forcing fans so high on only 60c just to keep clock speed. I'm sure that you understand that, as I do your thinking, but overall Maxwell was better deal in terms of overclocking.