GTX 980Ti - IS down/underclocking THE ONLY WAY TO FIX "dxgi error device removed" in games!????

ReiAn_Anthony

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Hello guys,

I am very much in need of advice and answers.

I am sure encountering "dxgi error device removed" in games has happened to many and not just me.

I've dug through the net...and it seems like most people are saying Downclocking/underclocking is the fix to the problem? To be honest I didn't get non-reference cards to not utilize their higher clocks... And please read my whole story/situation...as it may provide some more info.

CURRENT System:

~Asus Maximus VII HERO MOBO
~I7 4790K (Stock)
~Gigabyte Waterforce GTX 980Ti
~16 GB Kingston HyperX Savage 2400mhz ram
~EVGA 850 GOLD PSU
~Samsung 250GB SD + 2TB WD Black

I used to have a Asus GTX 980Ti Strix OC edition overclocked to 1500mhz and I played my games (Crysis 3, COD Ghost, BF4) just fine.
No CRASHES.

RECENTLY, I sold that card and got a Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming Waterforce 980ti which is water cooled and amazing temps and OC capability, along with a NICE ASIC of 82.8%.

I Overclocked it to only 1510mhz(only added 40mhz to core clock) at 1.224 volts, not touching the memory clock and it was very stable in terms of benchmarks/Stress test (Valley, Heaven, MSI Kombuster- Furmark - Tessellation). Temps never exceed 56 Degrees!

Keep in mind I had a 980 Ti before this one as well.

However, my games...Crysis 3, BF4, COD Ghost(which I know has issues with overclocks) kept crashing after roughly 15 minutes of play and reverting the CARD TO SAFE MODE I believe....at 594mhz.....

I tried 1.119 volts as well, and 1500mhz....still no avail.
I reverted to the stock factory clock(which I know is still OCed...but so was my asus card)....and still keeps on happening.

I realize that crashes may be due to unstable overclocks...but before I add more voltage(as I've tried less voltage before)....are there any other causes? And the error code...I am not sure what it means...with the driver problem or whatnot as some have explained on the net.

GUYS.....honestly is there another way besides downclocking to fix this? PLEASE HELP.

My previous asus 980ti worked without crashing regardless of overclocking or not so I am confused...and MAD.

Thanks Guys!

ReiAn_Anthony

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016

Sorry, I didn't specify, that's the GPU BOOST. The numbers are from in game.

And the Asus Strix card handled it pretty well and stably.

ReiAn_Anthony

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016

Oh man, I did read about this, but forgive my noobness....so I haven't.

And how would I go about doing that?

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2018
Hello,
I'm sorry to update a such old topic, but i wanted to give a possible reason, and a possible workaround to solve this *really annoying* problem.
I explain :
I bought a GTX980ti from inno3D (ichill 980ti air boss X3). Knowing this card have some oc on it, to offer for Xmas to my brother, 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, he have lots of games crashing with error DXGI_DEVICE_REMOVED, but like he is an hardcore gamer, and all his prefered games still working like a charm, he didn't wanted to put it into warranty.
Later, i bought an used Zotac 980ti for me (Nvidia reference design, and clocks) and, he agreed to change his card by my card. So, the exchange was made and hooo, on my PC, all the games worked fine...when i decided to start a GTA Online Session, and, randomly , between 10 and 30 mins, the game crashed... in the log the cause was "DXGI_DEVICE_REMOVED" :'( :'( :'(, why ?!!!!! like furmark worked like a charm one night long ????!!!!!!

So i started to investigate the problem, found some topics speaking, and explaining possible workarounds for this, and nothing was working (DDU the driver, vsync off, lower the graphics settings, revert all overclocking include CPU, use DirectX 10 instead of 11 in GTA, turn off TDR, and finally reinstall Windows10) the problem remains the same...

So i've seen your topic about the underclocking of the card... pretty interesting, so, just "to see" i've logged the core and memory freq during playing GTA5... knowing that i didn't do any overcloking on it.
Normally the card have a boost freq of 1291 Mhz... in the log, like the power usage was around 60%, the temps are around 63° the card boost itself to a stunning 1408 Mhz !!!!! WTF !!! Why a card, with an announced and software verified (msi afterburned) boost freq is capable of such "auto-overclocking", the answer : GPU Boost 2.0 technology. Nvidia itself admitted that the card is given with a certain amount of boost, but, in certain case, can go higher, adding bins of 13Mhz....
Ok... so, at this point my reflexion was :
- the card is given for a boost of 1291Mhz but can go higher
- the bios of this card is the same for total units of the same model
- so if a chip is not at the same quality level than others, it will no work correctly to higher frequencies with the same amount of volts rather than a chip qualified to go on this card.
so, i've decided to edit the vBIOS, using MaxwellIITweaker, after extracted it with GPU-Z.
in the Boost table section, the maximum programmed boost of the card is : 1590 Mhz (index #75 if i remember)...
So, let's verify my hypothesis, i've put the "max boost" to the 1291 Mhz, so all the table values changed accordingly lower. After that, i've edited the voltage section, to avoid giving 1.30V at those lower speeds.... (very fun, recopy game from old bios sections #52 to #35 to adapt them to #75 to #35...) ... for a complete tutorial, i visited this thread on overclock.net :

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1522651-disable-boost-bake-max-game-stable-clocks-maxwell.html

For sure, obviously i didn't do overclocking, it was just to disable the GPU boost to go higher than announced values.
Flashed the card, reboot, tested : actually after 5-6 session of 3-4h in GTA Online : no more problems at all.

Obviously, the chip is not at the level, and have to be replaced, but this let me some time to do that, and, in all case, it already works at around +200Mhz Gpu and Mem than a reference card.

Regards, from France.