[SOLVED] GTX card to VGA CRT problem

CastlBravo

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
Hello,

Bought a used gaming PC with one of these for the g-card:

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-06g-p4-6163-kr/p/N82E16814487261

I think it works, will find out later. Right now I am having trouble with getting my monitor (ViewSonic G90f CRT) to connect to the card.

I tried using a HDMI-to-VGA converter (this one), but Win10 and CPUID dont even see the card just "generic Microsoft display" or something and Mint boots to a black screen. Occasionally the monitor will go to "no signal" and back on.

Connecting the computer to the large flatscreen TV in the living room works fine: Mint boots up and the graphics card shows up in the device list.

Question: Should I try a Displayport-to-VGA converter of some kind (people at the hardforums recomend something like delock 87685)? Or better yet is there a converter that can do multiple different port types?

What could the problem be?

Thanks.

Solution
The problem is the graphics card only has digital outputs and your CRT monitor only has analog inputs. You need an active adapter, but even with that, it may not support the resolution of your old CRT.

Not sure about that Delock product.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
The problem is the graphics card only has digital outputs and your CRT monitor only has analog inputs. You need an active adapter, but even with that, it may not support the resolution of your old CRT.

Not sure about that Delock product.

-Wolf sends

Solution