GTX670 is it still worth it?

Daggeett

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Hi guys, I've been checking this forum frecuently from time to time, and now I'm in an issue that hasn't been asked.

So Im building a new PC for one of my siblings and I'm currently having a problem of deciding if it's worth to go for this:

I can either buy a used GTX 670 for 120$ here in my country

Or go for a new card which could be either GTX960 for 240$ or RX470 for 283$

I'm currently thinking about the best budget options, but still being able to enjoy a very good experience for my brother, is it too greedy to go for the 670? or is still a viable option?

Thanks in advance, (sorry for my English, Im not a native speaker lol)

frank_hnd

Honorable
depends what games he is looking to play, I just replaced my old GTX660 and it was still delivering very good FPS in modern games and I passed it on to my brother in law. I imagine the GTX670 can still provide an even better experience.

as for a GTX960, I would not buy a new one anymore. look for second hand cards (specially with those high prices in your region).

I would recommend a RX470/480 but with those prices is not viable, so either go for the 670 or a cheaper second hand 960 if you are able to find one.

the biggest issue with older gpu is they cant run the newest gaming titles in directx 12. also with the older gpu they run hotter and are slower then the newer gpu. i look into the 770 or newer 970. then wait till the newer gpu are replaced next year and then buy the 1000 line when the prices drop to where you can buy it.

Daggeett

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Thanks you two for the help, I just found a deal for an RX470 at 240$ so Im gonna stick to it, I'll have to live with the doubt if the 670 was worth it or not, anyway ty for your help!

frank_hnd

Honorable

don't doubt your decision. the RX470 not only uses less power, but it also generate a lot less heat. basically a 970 for the cheap.