GTX680 and 7970 vram

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl1zz4rd

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I've been becoming rather annoyed by the lack of solid answers with reference to the vram amounts on the two top single-GPU cards available at the moment being sufficient for gaming. What is certain is that as it stands, the GTX680 is the best, despite it's smaller amount of memory.

I am not concerned about pricing, temperatures, fan noise or appearance. I merely want to have a card which will be able to sustain playing every single game that is currently out and will be released before the next generation of GPUs are launched. I want to be able to play them with ALL the settings on MAX, everything that can be enabled, enabled and with 'decent' FPS (ie. no lag.) I have been doing the same thing for ages - buying the top single-GPU card, playing everything on max for a year and then getting another, so as to keep up with the games which are released.

I have a number of questions that are unanswered, despite my reading and watching numerous reviews (both specific to each card and comparative) and scrolling through a large amount of threads related to the topic.

1. Why is it that Nvidia released the 680 with 2GB when they knew that AMD had a card out with 3GB. Providing more memory would make the cards last longer. Was it due to their knowing that without it, the card would still win, and therefore they saved on costs? I have read, on multiple sites, that the 680 is in fact what the 670 was going to be and was labelled the 680 when Nvidia saw that their expectations of the 7970 were greater than what was produced.

2. How is it that Nvidia managed to get the 680 to win, with less memory? Is it due to the fact that games don't require more than 2GB at present? Is it because of the memory clock being higher? (I have read somewhere that this may be the case.) Does the processing power counter the card having less memory?

3.Do games at present require more than 2GB of vram? I know this relates to the above question, but it's distinct. Will there be games throughout the next year that do? The next Metro, Crysis 3 and Max Payne 3 are all games that I suspect of doing so.

4. Is there a way to tell, genuinely, how much memory a game uses? I have seen opinions amounting to 'a game uses whatever is available, so if the card has 3GB, the usage results will be close to this.' If that is true, how is the actual usage determined?

I can already see this thread being filled with people saying 'blahblah, games don't require more than 1GB of ram, i still have a card-x and it runs everything on max' and 'if you want to run multiple monitors, you need more than 2GB, otherwise not nonsensenonsense.' There will probably be a lot of biased opinions, due to certain people liking one of the two brands more. Hopefully, there won't be much of that though, and the thread can be a logical, fact-motivated discussion, rather than a harsh debate.

I am accustomed to building PCs and keep up-to-date with the latest hardware developments. I say this so that people don't suspect me of being a complete noob, with a lack of understanding, and decide to explain things using simple terms.

I am gaming with a 27" 1080p LCD and would like (if possible with a single card) to get above 60fps in all games. If not, I may consider getting another. No other components in my system will result in the card's performance decreasing. For the sake of equality, I will be buying a stock card, using a reference PCB design and cooler. If it turns out that the 2GB 680 will last until the next generation of cards, then I'll get it, as I like the new technology that Nvidia has included, such as FXAA, adaptive V-sync and the proven-to-make-a-difference-in-visuals PhysX. I don't care that only a few games use PhysX, if the option is available, I'd like to be able to make use of it. Better graphics are better. Aah, circular logic.

Bl1zz4rd

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I've seen a lot of comments elsewhere relating to an Nvidia release in November this year. Aside from whether it'd be the 685 or 780, I can't see why they'd do that, considering they've just released the first card from the new series.

The next 'world's fastest GPU' should only be released next year, or even the following year. I honestly don't know how those people can speculate the way they do or what they base said speculation on. There are, after all, no facts to support their claims.

GTX690.
It's very likely that this will be announced shortly and will essentially be comprised of TWO GTX680's at slightly lower clock speeds.

I would expect performance to be similar to about 80-85% of a 2xGTX680 SLI setup if the rest of your computer can keep up.

You'd likely want a 3-slot solution with awesome non-reference cooling.

I think your game play experience would be far better on the GTX680 with the quality tweaked so you can achieve 60FPS most of the time.

There are situations where you can use more than 2GB to make the HD7970 seem a better choice but then you tax the GPU so much that your frame rates drop far below 60FPS.

Remember that if you can't achieve VSYNC you get screen tearing, not to mention the lower frame rates aren't as enjoyable.

Adaptive VSYNC:
The GTX680 can cap to a rate of say 60FPS and if the game drops below that instead of the sudden STUTTER you normally get VSYNC is disabled instead so you just get screen tearing.

*You should definitely go to the NVidia site and read through the features of the GTX680. It's very interesting. There are other advantage to the GTX680 that the HD7970 does not have which will pull it further ahead of upcoming games, especially with the new UNREAL 4 engine.

Why 3GB?

The 3GB of VRAM in the HD7970 is primarily for CROSSFIRE, not single card setups.

If you KNOW you're going to game on three monitors the best choice will be the 4GB version of the GTX680.

VRAM and SLI/Crossfire:
VRAM is not added. You do NOT get a 6GB with a 2xHD7970 3GB setup. You get 3GB. The clone the data. So that effective 3GB is then used for say 3x1920x1080 which is basically a 5860x1080 screen.

This is my recommend:
- GTX680 2GB for single monitors up to 2560x1600
- 2xGTX680 4GB for triple monitor (i.e. 5860x1080)
- HD7970 3GB (for gamers with COMPUTE needs that can utilize this card)
- 2xHD7970 3GB (for gamers with COMPUTE needs gaming to multiple monitors)

I agree.
The 2GB amount of VRAM on the GTX680 is optimal for the processing capabilities of the GPU.

Games can buffer textures and data in the VRAM but not necessarily be processing them at the moment.

It's also interesting to note that the next gen of CONSOLES is likely to use about 2GB of SHARED VRAM/System RAM. Since consoles so heavily influence PC games it's unlikely that VRAM usage is likely to spiral up and up.

So the 2GB of VRAM will be enough for years to come likely for single monitors (and you'll want a new card by then).

Tessellation and VRAM:
Tessellation and other optimizations will actually require LESS memory than current designs. We'll likely see the amount of VRAM peak, drop slightly, then stabilize.

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I can only give you some average fps I get in the most current demanding games with my 680 (1920x 1080 monitor) . I don't think more than 2gb vram would help right now btw.

Crysis2: All ultra, high res textures above 50 fps to 70
Battlefield 3: All ultra in campain above 80 fps, in multiplayer above 60 to 80
Dirt 3: Benchmarked at 90 fps
Skirim: All ultra, patch 1.5 around 60 fps
Batman arkhgam city: Benchmarked at 55 fps, but it runs at 60 until it gets down to 30 fps (unpatched)
Metro 2033: Around 50, unpatched

Hope it helps

G

Will see in the next year or two when vram comes more into play.Right now these cards are virtually identical in performance at same clocks.3GB of VRAM is more future proof then 2 so 7970---> GTX 680.If you are someone that plans on not upgrading for 2,3.4 or even 5 years you will be far better off with the 7970.If you are someone that upgrades on a yearly basis then maybe the gtx 680.Not to mention if you overclock the 7970 does that better to.Infact some guy posted a thread of certain benchmarks and 8 of the 10 best performance scores were the 7970

How to monitor VRAM:
1) download and run Process Explorer v15.13 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653

2) VIEW->System Information->GPU (view "GPU dedicated memory")

Monitor game usage:
Do the above but close any web browsers and switch desktop to Windows Classic in themes.

Play your game, close it then go back and put your mouse on the HIGHEST peak in the GPU memory usage.

(You should show under 50MB of GPU memory usage before starting the game. If you use an Aero theme I'm really not sure if it's being buffered in VRAM or not. It probably stays there until you get close to using your VRAM up but again I'm not sure. Aero can use up to 200MB.)

CHEERS!

G

...Infact some guy posted a thread of certain benchmarks and 8 of the 10 best performance scores were the 7970

Really?:) Can we see those "certain" benches, please? I read many sites with 7970 vs 680 benchmarks and never seen OC 7970 beat stock 680 GTX in more than 50% of games tested.

G

Bl1zz4rd, did you consider to wait and get 1 or even 2 690s GTX 4GB? How long should they be good for? 4 years? maybe... 5? I can see as good long term solution, of course, you will have to spend a lot of money on them right away...

G

Nice:) Now I remember I got sight of this review a while ago.

Interesting, that in all of the DX9 and DX10 games tested, 7970 is a clear winner, even in stock-for-stock comparison. However, in DX11 games, which is still pretty fresh tech, the story is different. I wonder, what if after a few driver updates and releases of more optimized DX11 games, 7970 could be, perhaps, ahead of 680 GTX later on?

Bl1zz4rd

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
matto17secs, as I said at the beginning of the thread, those are things I don't care about, so I'd be happy to get a 7970 and have those aspects be slightly worse as a result.

BigMack70, that's an awesome review. I didn't see it in the result when I searched for "7970 vs 680 review." I'm assuming from comments above that not many other reviews show the same results, favoring the 7970 to such a level.

That was the first review I've read in ages on that site. Forgot about it. Do you frequent it? It was quite thorough and the only thing I didn't really like was the graph just for 'highest FPS.'

I agree with the point about the 7970 not being much worse than the 680 with reference to the above aspects. It's also a very efficient card. I wonder how many people are concerned about those things though. Excessive noise and heat I can understand, I'd hate to have something that sounds like a jet next to my ear whilst melting my arm away during my gaming, but how many people bother about how much power the card uses? If you're buying a 680 or 7970, your PCs gonna be able to supply more than the necessary power to use them.

Veirtimid, to answer your earlier question, I haven't actually thought about the 690 at all, but I think I should consider it. My reason is that there hasn't been much talk about it (in terms of actual facts) and Nvidia still hasn't said when it's going to be released, which annoys me. They do that all the time. It'd be so much easier for me to plan PC upgrades if I knew the release dates of all the hardware. If it's a case of them not knowing, then that's acceptable. Still annoying, but acceptable.

I doubt the 690's gonna have as big of a gap between itself and the 590 as the 680 and 580 do when looking at all the factors I never waste time on, such as price, heat, noise and power usage.

It'd be ******* amazing if the 7970 pulled ahead of the 680 because of drivers. If that does happen, hopefully it'll be soon, so that I can see the benefits in the games I'm constantly playing as opposed to finishing more before it does.

Has that been the case with any AMD GPUs in the past? If not overtaking their Nvidia competitors, at least improving substantially after time. If that's a possibility, then I'll be even more partial to getting a 7970.

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Stock! Well remember that the card overclock itself up to 1050 (turbo). Of course it depends on the scenario, at metro you wont get below 60, at caspian border you may hit 50, but never below that.

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

what about karkand maps ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr0AJ5pE5ZI

fps of gtx 680 even dropped to 32...

and its evga superclocked version .. it's hard to believe after that video ... that gtx 680 has stronger min fps then 7970 ..... don't call me amd fan ..i had 4 nvidia and only 1 amd cards in my life ...

The best OC analysis belongs to xbitlabs:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680_14.html#sect0

"The GeForce GTX 680 2GB overclocked to 1186/7128 MHz is an average 4-11% ahead of the AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB (overclocked to 1150/7000 MHz) in 1920x1080 and 1-9% ahead in 2560x1600."
20_gtx68vshd797oc_big.png

"So, the clock rates of our GeForce GTX 680 grew by 17.3/18.6% and its performance increased by an average 12.8-16.8% in 1920x1080 and by 16.6-20.4% in 2560x1600. As for the Radeon HD 7970, the increase in its clock rates by 24.3/27.3% helped improve its performance by 18.2-22.7% in 1920x1080 and by 20.5-22.9% in 2560х1600."
21_oc1980_big.png

Those thermal images of a card turning deep, deep puplish red under load are pretty scary!

Here's the link to the master list of thermal images for just about everything over the past several years (pre-current generation):
http://www.behardware.com/articles/747-1/report-graphics-cards-and-thermal-characteristics.html

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Well I haven´t played the expansion since I got the gtx 680 (I dont like them too much) but in my opinion Caspian border is large enough, also got the same frames (almost) on operation firestorm.

Regards

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

I saw the video and actually I don't see anything wrong, just a steady 60 fps gameplay which is actually what we gamers aim for, anyway since it didn't go above 60 probably is because vsync or adaptative vsync was/were won. It does get a bit low when you die on the "kit selection screen" but could be a game issue, and it's a kind of place we don't need 60fps at all.

Bl1zz4rd

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
***, those thermal images are cool. I wanna be able to do that myself. I'd do it on everything, lol. Sit all day testing my head whilst thinking different things to see if there's a change.

The geforce.com site countdown now says "0", so the reveal is either happening right now, or already has. There are no new details online.

If I do get a 690, I think I'll get one with custom cooling. That'll reduce noise as well. Should, according to what happened with the 590, the 690 have a higher bus width and bandwidth level as well as double vram? If it does, I can't see any reason why I won't get one. I'll wait for reviews and comparison tests before I do though. Hopefully Asus makes a direct cu2 version. Those look beast. It'd be nice to have one huge card that does everything properly and allows me to play all games on max for the next year, without being concerned about reaching the memory limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.