Question Gtx980 > Rtx 2070 super and SSD upgrade. Ram too?

Apr 3, 2023
So here’s what I have:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CQxFcb

With some research and some forum posting I decided to go ahead and order myself an Asus RTX 2070 super. In addition I’ve also ordered an SSD upgrade to a silicon power A60 2tb, pretty much solely because it’s a future proof upgrade.

In addition I was wondering if I should upgrade to faster ram while I'm in there? Seems relatively cheap, however if I’m not going to see anything life changing I’ll just hold off.

Im at $292.04 total right now and hoping I can get $100 for the gtx980 I have.

If I had more updated equipment I’d being going all in on a (hopeful) high fps 4K monster, but I want to wait for some OLED monitors to come out next year before I drop close to $4000.

I’m doing this to have a nice upgrade for Diablo 4 dropping next week, but I play all sorts of games and am NOT competitive in shooters.

What do you guys think? Good move? And how about that ram upgrade?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This system should be strong for the monitor you have now, and even more so with the new graphics card. Beyond it and the new storage, I would not spend on upgrades to the current system without a firm idea of what the new monitor framerate and resolution target you are going for. At that point, it needs to be the consideration of new core hardware.

Apr 3, 2023
So are you planning on 2 different kits of the same ram?

Mixing 2 kits of ram Can lead to some headaches, not alway But it can be.
Do you feel you want to roll the dice?
no no I’d be replacing, currently have 4 sticks of 8gb at 2400. Would consider 2 sticks at 16gb 3400 or more if that would potential make a difference. But something tells me even 64gb total at 3400 would be diminishing return on investment.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Surprised you can still get 2070 Super given how rare they became after 30 series came out. I treated mine really well knowing getting a replacement would have been hard at time (2020)

It will be fine for that monitor. It struggles a little with 1440p over 100.

Apr 3, 2023
Surprised you can still get 2070 Super given how rare they became after 30 series came out. I treated mine really well knowing getting a replacement would have been hard at time (2020)

It will be fine for that monitor. It struggles a little with 1440p over 100.
There are tons used on offer up and eBay in the 250-350 range, I was able to snag one for $204 then $222 after tax on eBay!