[SOLVED] Guidance for sale price of PC

ajsski99

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
Hi all,

Have recently thrown together a gaming PC with hardware I had laying around and some second-hand gear on Marketplace etc with the following specs:

i5-3470
Asus H61 Motherboard
16GB DDR3 1600
RX 580 8GB
1TB HDD
500W PSU

What would be a reasonable price for me to sell this at? I know everyone loves a bargain but I would like to make some profit at least ;)

Many thanks, Ajsski99

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Without knowing more about it I would suggest possibly $150-ish, maybe 2 with legal copy of Win 10. Less without OS or something freeware. Your market may be better or worse.

IMO, you might be able to get a decent turnover adding a meager SSD, keep the HDD for storage, and maybe an el-cheapo LED strip according to the case it's in. Bling adds value in today's market.

ajsski99

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
Without knowing more about it I would suggest possibly $150-ish, maybe 2 with legal copy of Win 10. Less without OS or something freeware. Your market may be better or worse.

IMO, you might be able to get a decent turnover adding a meager SSD, keep the HDD for storage, and maybe an el-cheapo LED strip according to the case it's in. Bling adds value in today's market.

All in all the parts cost me £250, so I was hoping to get around £350 for it on Marketplace...

What other things would you need to know?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I know nothing at all about your local market. I also know that the current situation is making pricing really strange.

I know that if I were looking at spending $400+ dollars I wouldn't be looking at a 3rd gen i5 in my current local market.

ajsski99

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
I know nothing at all about your local market. I also know that the current situation is making pricing really strange.

I know that if I were looking at spending $400+ dollars I wouldn't be looking at a 3rd gen i5 in my current local market.

Ah I see,

In the UK at the moment since lockdown is being heavily enforced, PC parts have shot up in price, especially in the secondhand market... and lots of people are building PCs with older parts and selling them on Facebook Marketplace / Gumtree as "Gaming PCs".

I already have the i5 from my old build so I thought it might be worthwhile throwing a PC together for fun and maybe to make some profit, instead of it sitting collecting dust until it is obsolete.

But if you don't think it'll sell ill take it apart and sell the bits individually if anyone wants them.

Thanks

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If the dynamic you are discussing is ongoing and the system is ready to rock, as they say. List it with an OBO and see who bites. Never know. Won't hurt to try before taking it apart. Something to point out to the side is, IF this is all essentially sitting in the closet it isn't going to get worth more for a LONG while, if ever. Taking a loss now might be less than the loss later.