Guide : Move software/games to another drive/partition without reinstalling.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubite51

Reputable
May 9, 2014
I haven't put anything on the SSD yet. i got two different drives. One is a 2 terabyte hard drive for everything that is on my current 1 terabyte hard drive except movies and music, that will stay on the first drive. The only things I want on my SSD are my operating system and any startup programs, so that my computer will boot almost instantly. But in order to move my operating system over, from what I've seen I need to move almost everything from the 1 terabyte hard drive over to the 2 terabyte hard drive so there's little enough space for it to fit on the SSD, which is only 120 gigabytes.

You will have to move quite a bit depending on the size of your actual files.

Moving ones personal files off can save lots of space for some users.

Your actual best bet would be to install Windows from Scratch and install the games you want onto the hard drive as needed.

While you can use this for migration and I have my self to a certain extent. It is not very new user friendly.

You would need to find out what takes the largest sections of space(WinDirStat is a good program to see what is taking most of your space.). Trying to move EVERYTHING is not quite recommended.

You are looking at a fair bit of file swapping to get things the way you want.

So lets say you have some free space on your Windows drive, you could shrink that partition and use the space at the end of the drive to store some files and slowly move things over(only recommended for personal files and 3rd party software, you should NOT try to move parts of windows like this). This may require several partition shrink and extends to get everything over. Having a 3rd drive(just to move files to so you have less stuff on your Windows drive) would be another option.

Either way, this is not the most new user friendly process.

This started as a single drive system and moved to a single drive + ssd and then a 2 drive + ssd. so it is possible. Please note ALL the programs I use are on the SSD and most games are as well. The bulk of my files are just personal files like images/videos/music/ect. This made the swap rather easy as once my files had been moved it left everything else small enough for the SSD.
35in3ww.png

This system went from a 2 x 2TB drive and 64 gigabyte ssd for cache to 2 x 256 gigabyte ssd's(so lots of links to games on the game drive so I did not have to reinstall them). My files used to be on the second 2tb drive, but in the end I moved everything(everything from c : \ users \ my login \) over to a network share(that happens to be inside the system posted above. Backup from one location is SOOO much more easy now).
4lpwz5.png

So while it can be done, It is getting outside the scope of this guide because you are doing a full migration more than anything.

JakJak72

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
I wanted to know if I were to do this can I delete the original files after and use the new ones, the originals were on an external drive and I want to move them to an internal drive. Basically can I remove the external drive and have the game function or will that not work?

If you made a link from an external drive to an internal one, you would have already moved the files to the internal drive.

The problem is you would still need the external drive for the game shortcuts to work right. If the game has registry entries pointing to a drive that is no longer on the system it may not work either.

All games/programs are different. Some are very friendly of just moving while others require a reinstall and then copy the old copy over the new install to avoid needing patching. If you use steam it is VERY friendly for moving games.

If you are doing this for files and folder, you only have ONE copy so remember anything done in one location effects both(because the link is just a fancy shortcut a program knows how to follow.).

Dec 22, 2014
Hi

I have just received my new Samsung 240gb Evo ssd. My current PC just has a 2TB Harddrive and I also have a external 2TB Harddrive. I would like to moved OS to the SSD. However I will not be doing this at all if the following is not possible and therefore this is my question. Over the course of this year I have collected and installed allot of applications such as cinema 4d, after effects, Houdini and nuke. These all also have plugins. I DO NOT want to reinstall any of these. Does anyone know if I will have to reinstall these? I would prefer to obviously migrate these applications to the ssd. However I do not want spend 3 days reinstalling everything. Is this possible?

Ps this site is not iOS compatible. Running latest iPhone update. Will look to see if you have an app

Thanks

JuanSoSerious

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
Hey man, awesome guide, but question: does the old folder with nothing in it have to stay there? and also, if I reinstall all my games in one hard drive, can I reinstall windows without having to redownload all my games using this method? Thanks!

You should not have an empty folder after this is done.

You start with an empty folder because the software uses this to get the junction name. If doing this with mklink, you would not even have kept the folder and the process would have made the "folder".

Think of the empty folder as more of a place holder or shortcut.

Now when you reinstall Windows, some games may be able to be used this way, but other games actually place folders in other locations of even make registry entries. Steam fixes its own games so moving/installing steam in this way works without issues, but Steam has its own options for this now.

I still recommend installing software first before making the link. This ensures that everything works fine. At this point in time, It may just be better to just install to the new location and then copy the old copy over it after(the copy over just takes care of updates most times).

EvolusawPe

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Hey, So.. i have The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and its installed on my C: Drive. but recently, my C: Drive is running out of space, so i want to move it to my
G: External HDD (I installed most of my games there, cuz its 1 TB) . i'd like to just re-install, but i installed so many mods (i cant even count) and it'd be really difficult to just install it back, my question is:

1. Will it remove my Savegames and my Mods?

2. is there any extra requirements, or just follow the steps above?

3. After i created the junction, you mentioned that the game will show up on your old drive, but also in the new drive, which means that your old drive will still be full. should i delete it? (the game that just show up on ur old drive)

Anyways here's my main goal:

1. Move The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to my G: External HDD

2. Shrink my D: Drive (around 12 gb) and Extend my C: Drive with the unallocated space.

3. Upgrade my Windows 7 to 64-bit in my C: Drive

And also my Skyrim's size is 14 gb.

Your save games should be under c:\users\your_login_here\saved games(somtimes it is documents\saved games, but it will only be in one place).

If you are worried about save games, take a backup of that folder.

Now you seem to be wanting to shrink drives and stuff. This is all good, but the upgrade to Windows 7-64bit part has be wondering. What is your current OS.

If you are a Steam user(Steam should be closed while moving games this way.) your game should be under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\

In that case, you could copy the game over to your G drive lets say g : \ games \ skyrim

then rename the Skyrim folder in the steam folder to skyrim 1 if you are worried(but you already should have a copy in g drive).

Then you can either make a Skyrim folder to just the software mentioned above OR use the command prompt.

OR

not make a skyrim folder and use the command prompt. Hitting enter after each line.

Code:
cd\
cd Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim
mklink /J "Skyrim" "g:\games\skyrim"

That would create a Junction called Skyrim in the Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ folder

With Steam you also have a 3rd way to do this trick. I tried this to see if it would work.

1. Open Steam
2. Select View then Settings
3. Select Downloads
4. Select Steam Library Folders
5. Add a folder on your g drive(ie g : \ games \ steam).
6. Close that window and close Steam
7. Check that new folder to see if you now have a SteamApps folder in this new library(g : \ games \ steam).
8. Go Cut Skyrim from your normal Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim location and paste it into your new steamapps folder (it should be something like g : \ games \ steam \ steamapps \ common \)
9. Go get your skyrim ACF file from your old normal steam folder (Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\) and copy it to your new folders steamapps folder

This file will be called appmanifest_#####.acf. Skyrim uses a different appid depending on what version you own.
72850 = The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
28187 = The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition
You my have another(I am sure they have had many different app-ids), check on SteamDB or even Google to see what your app ids are.
10. Load steam and login. Try to run the game, if it gives you no errors, your game is not in your other steam library without any fancy junctions or symbolic links.

If you have any questions, let me know.

EvolusawPe

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

Hi! thx for the reply, my OS is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, and im not a steam user. and back to the topic, i tried ur method, but with another game. called state of decay, (Im still afraid to move skyrim) after i created the junction. everythings working, the game even works. my question is:
Should you delete the game's file (State Of Decay) from the Old drive, (the one with the shorcut arrow)?

No you do not remove the file with the shortcut arrow as that is the link from drive to drive. It is now the game still sees it self on the drive it was installed on.

Skyrim should be no different to move. it is the exact same copy to new location, empty old drive or rename and recreate the games folder and use the software to make the link.

When you upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows, I think you will have to do a clean install.

In that case, keep copies of your games and then install the game on the new OS then copy the old one over the new one(including mods).

I recommend this way because some programs have registry entries created on install so a straight copy and paste may not always work.

EvolusawPe

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
So... if i can't remove the game with the shortcut arrow. how does it free up my space just like the description says??

The folder with the shortcut arrow should not be taking any actual space(it will show in the properties, but it is not actually taking anything) on that drive(it gets those stats from the other drive).

Not allot of games on this system, but should help you see what I mean.
14e49iu.jpg

Now if you have a backup copy of folder that was renamed(no arrow on it), those would still take space. It is kind of like how a normal shortcut does not take much room(but this shortcut even works within programs).

Edit
here is a more extreme example(1.72TB on my 238GB SSD). It was with symbolic links(required to perform this over the network), but same applies(shortcut arrow and all)

I NEVER recommend users do this without understanding the limitations(this computer will not even have a desktop with my media center not running).
24uys06.jpg

EDIT

Ok I will stop(after this one).

LINKCEPTION
24xjiw3.jpg

EvolusawPe

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

Hi, thx for the reply again. And it turns out that i didn't notice that the old game with the shortcut arrow doesnt take space on the old drive (since the game that i tested with is only 2.38 gb) , i'm sorry for wasting ur time and a big thanks for your help.

And sorry that i have to ask another question. (might be the last)

What do you mean by
"When you upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows, I think you will have to do a clean install.
In that case, keep copies of your games and then install the game on the new OS then copy the old one over the new one(including mods)." sorry, my english isn't very good

None of this is a waste of time because your questions may be the same as other users. In that case you are helping them out too.

When you are running a 32-bit version of Windows you can not perform an upgrade to a 64-bit version. You have to install it from scratch. Most times this involves erasing everything on the drive(if you have multiple partitions, you should be able to save data in the second partition).

Because your C drive will be erased when installing Windows 7 64-bit, I recommend taking a copy of any games that are in your C drive to your second drive. You also should take a copy of c : \ Users \ Your login \ These will be erased and your save games are located in this folder(You should take any folders you have files in like Documents, Music, Videos, Saved Games, ect).

When you reinstall Windows 7 to get the 64-bit version installed, I also recommend you unplug your games/file drive to avoid Windows trying to place the boot loader on that drive.

Once Windows is installed, You can start to reinstall programs. When installing from scratch you can actually tell the games to install on the second drive from the start if you want. You should not install the games over top of them selves to avoid issues.

For example.

Lets say you have Skyrim copied to d : \ Games \ Skyrim
and you want to install it to that drive, You should rename Skyrim to Skyrim1

Now when you install the game use the Custom option in the installer to install the game to d : \ Games and create a Skyrim folder.

Once the install is finished, before running the game, copy everything from Skyrim1 to Skyrim. Overwrite everything.

Copy your save games back to the proper folder in c : \ Users \ Your login \

Now when you launch the game you should have all your mods as well as save games.

I hope this clears things up.

EvolusawPe

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

Which one i should copy? the one with the shortcut arrow (the one in the old drive) or the one in the Ext HDD?

Stycks32

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Can anyone say for sure if this works on Windows 10? I'll try it when i get home, but for now just want to see if anyone has successfully used this method on Windows 10.