*Guide to Choosing Parts*

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Proximon,

I'd like to make a suggestion of a little more detail to add under the Memory - P55 section. I have seen a large number of posters buy 1600, 2000 or greater RAM and then be disappointed when they couldn't get their RAM to run at those speeds without a lot of BIOS manipulation. From my experience, the P55 motherboards allow a max memory multiplier of (effectively) x10 for the i5 750 and x12 for the i7 8xx. I don't know if this is 100% across all motherboards, but in my experience helping others I haven't yet seen any deviations. Maybe others can provide some feedback if they know of any motherboards that operate differently.

My suggestion is to add the following a comment to your section that reads:

P55 RAM
RAM for the i5/i7 LGA 1156 CPUs and MBs is purchased in pairs. It is DDR3 and needs to have a voltage at or below 1.65V.

So that it reads:
P55 RAM
RAM for the i5/i7 LGA 1156 CPUs and MBs is purchased in pairs. It is DDR3 and needs to have a voltage at or below 1.65V.

Intel officially supports 1066 and 1333 frequency memory on the P55. Most motherboards allow the i7 8xx chips to run memory at 1600. If you have an i5 750 or i7 8xx and are NOT interested in OCing or are NOT comfortable changing BIOS settings such as BCLK, CPU multiplier, memory multiplier, memory timings (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS), EIST, C-states, Turbo, etc. then it is recommended the max frequency you get is 1333 for an i5 750, and 1600 for an i7 8xx. Remember, timings, also referred to as latency, is more important than the frequency of the RAM.

Hopefully if people are reading your guide this will cut down on the number of Why isn't the 2000 RAM I paid for running at 2000!! problems.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007

I bought 1600 ram, but i got the best performance running at 1066 (800 with base clock overclocked), because memory speed means almost nothing, exception of winrar/7Zip.
reducing memory clocks, and even undervolting memory reduces the processor temperature a lot, allowing more CPU overclocking.

So, we don't need faster RAM. We need RAM with lower voltages, so the uncore can run cooler.

Quick question on the guide. Feel free to ignore me if it was already covered (I skimped everything here, but didn't read it all).

Why is the CPU only Quad vs. Dual? There are plenty of great triple core CPUs, and there is an article on how much gaming performance increases from adding cores (somewhere on Toms) that showed the benefits of increasing from duals to triples were great, but it lessened from triples to quads.

Markdr

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Hi. Thank you for this forum it is so informative even to much information for one time. My name is Mark I am living in Russia. I am upgrading my old system in my living room and using some of my existing components. I would like your opining on what is the best components I should buy, like: Processor, mother board, graphic card, power supply and ram. I am using Sony Bravia VPL-AW15 720p LCD Front Projector as a screen (want to use all potential of this projector) and I have Silverstone LC13B-E Home Theatre PC Case that I am planning to use. I am interested in not to expensive but good quality components. I am want to upgrade to HDMI signal (I am using S video). I would like to be able to use this system to watching movies on blue ray disks, play games, work in photo shop, and edit some home movies. Thank you.

mexi-kong

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Proximon,
Could you give me advice on a good video card for my home built for around $80 or $90. I have a ASUS-p4p800se-board, 3.4g Intel-extreme edition-cpu, Sparkle-400watt-supply, OCZ-1GB(512X2)DDR PC-3200 dual ch, Creative-soundblaster-live, Seagate-Cheetah 39G (SCSI) drive running WindowsXP-media center edition-05' for storage i have a Western digital-200g & 80g hard drives, Monitor is a DELL-IN1910N
18.5" Widescreen flat panal, the video card i was using- Geforce-fx5200 is now cashed! Also' if it matters my CPU is overclocked 10% and have a Zallman overclockers fan & copper heat sink. I thank you for any advice you can give me...
Jay....

Sorry I missed this for a few days. I guess the answer is that I don't consider AMD triple-cores to be a class by themselves, exactly. After all, they are quad-cores with one core disabled because it wasn't up to grade or such. Not that I don't recommend them at times... I do. The 720BE has been a favorite budget choice for quite a while. The discussion about dual vs. quad would just be muddied by talking about triple-cores also, and would not be a service to newbies. Once you get the idea of the differences between 2 and 4 cores, you should be able to predict if a triple core CPU would meet your needs.

andyt94

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Hey proximon, i'm building my first machine, and i'd really like some advice.
I'm building this computer primarily to play World of Warcraft and listen to music. I'd like my framerates above 30 or 40 at all times if possible, and i'm kinda stuck at this impass.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5687458&CatId=2406
OR
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5635115&Sku=B69-4086

Between these two, take money out as a factor. Which would preform better in games? I have a nvidia 9800 GT i'm putting in it, and 4 gigs of ram with a 700W PSU.

Thanks in advance!

tac339

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Honestly, I worry about beginners seeing this wall of text and never reading it. I'm afraid to add more words to this.

<-- Noob here. I'm looking to build my first rig here next month, I've just been trying to educate myself on each component so I can get the most out of my money.

I have to say though, this guide is absolutely amazing. I can't speak for other 'beginners' but this one would absolutely LOVE to eat up more words added to each section. Big walls of texts can be good!

Thanks again for the time spent on this guide, big ups!

sophiaclark347

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Excellent post.This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad that I finally came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I was wondering why this guide no longer talks about RAM required for overclocking. Instead it just says that latency is more important than speed. However it should be noted that to not limit your overclock 1600MHz RAM is recommended, thats for x58 I'm not sure about AMD and i5. I was just concerned that people would leave here with the idea that RAM speed isn't at all important.

Thanks. Very good thread.

nydoc

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I have a question. I am using an old athlon xp and to speed up the system. I would like to replace the th processor and MOB. I want to keep the enclosure which is an old antec with a 350 PWS. I also would like to have access to the IDE drive. What parts can anyone recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS