Guild Wars 2 Beta This Year, Says NCSoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
AION was to focused on hard core grinding and got boring quick. Also I'm now sold on the free to play model, although I'm not impartial to lifetime subscriptions either. It will be interesting to see what GW2 does.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Guild Wars is one of the best games I have ever played on PC. Hope GW2 stays true to its roots cause if it does it will probably be the best mmo ever made

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
WoW Cataclysm is already doing this dynamic stuff they call Phasing. You kill some baddies to finish the quest and then the landmark changes, no more baddies.

panacuba

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Totally agree with bak0n, I played aion since closed beta 1, and after 3 months of official release i could not handle the Grinding, a friend of mine long time ago recommend me GW but i wasnt in MMO`s by that time.
Now with my new gaming rig coming in 3 months ill give a shot to GW2 :)

zkevwlu

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]WoW Cataclysm is already doing this dynamic stuff they call Phasing. You kill some baddies to finish the quest and then the landmark changes, no more baddies.[/citation]

Phasing isn't the same... it's still quest based and it's still fully predictable and repetitive. GW2 is using a fully dynamic world, where there are no quests to do and all events are fully random. Each random event will trigger other events depending on the outcome of the current event. It's completely unpredictable, and each play through will offer completely unique experience.

G

I hope GW2 has more depth and lasting appeal than Rift - which got boring after about 1 month (shallow endgame, no hook to play longterm).

We need a MMORPG that doesn't get boring before the free month is up.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
i loved GW. ive had it forever. free to play is the way to go. i still have never finished the first game tho. never got through all the quests. only ever made one lvl 20 char too. in 5+ years.

I still play GuildWars; it remains my primary game. I don't like the frequent nerfing of skills (especially those which make no sense in the context of the game world), but I like messing with builds in PvE.

el_camello

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hi All
I was among the early players of GuildWars before I moved to WoW.
What I miss about GuildWars is that after I hit level 20 and buy the best armour could not find much progress to do. Unlike Wow where after hitting max level you can always progress via new gear...
Did I miss something ?

el_camello

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I forgot to say, compared to wow, guild wars graphics were just amazing... I spent so much game time wondering around and enjoying the landscape. If only wow had GuildWars grade graphics or better. The biggest innovation from WoW was the non need for loading screens between areas, this gave the impression of the continuity of the world ...

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Graphics wise, Rift and GW blow WoW right out of the park, but no game has as smooth of a combat system as WoW. Everything just clicks.

Sorry NCSoft, but blizzard will still get my money unless I see some serious upgrades. Like jumping. Lol.

G

@macrwrox GW2 has jumping, and I've heard from people that played the demo at PAX that the controls are tight and smooth - on par with wow.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Guild Wars 1 is by far one of the best games ever released on PC in that genre. Its simplicity, free to play model system, and graphics are still good 6 years after the fact.

I'm really looking forward to GW2. Can't come soon enough.

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]macewrox[/nom]Graphics wise, Rift and GW blow WoW right out of the park, but no game has as smooth of a combat system as WoW. Everything just clicks.Sorry NCSoft, but blizzard will still get my money unless I see some serious upgrades. Like jumping. Lol.[/citation]
You mean the same old boring repetitive "#12345" hotkey combat thats in most if not every fantasy medieval style MMORPG? Theres a difference?

At least GW2 looks way more involved..

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
This seems to be more and more like Duke Nukem Forever....
Beta was suppose to be out last year and final Game out for the holidays this year...
All of a sudden everything is pushed pack by couple of years...
As long as we dont have to play on a 2004 engine in 2013...

shiftmx112

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Not really sure it's fair to compare a buy to play game vs one with a monthly fee, but still. This game is going to be much much more than just another WoW clone with a twist.

P.S. Glad to see GW2 mentioned on Tom's.

It’s not just there’s this one guy standing with an exclamation mark and you go there, he says ‘hey, those evil bandits over there have been threatening me for the last 15 years, like I told the other thousand people before you…’ Then you go there and they’re not actually doing anything. So you kill them then come back, so the guy says ‘thanks, everything is fine now’ but you turn around and the bandits are back…"
A brilliant description of the issue. And funny.

G

I recommend watching the gameplay trailers for Gw2. Also the Manifesto. Both show how innovative the combat system is. It is so much more than a button smasher like WoW. GW 1 combat was based on what combination of skills the player put together and GW 2 doesn't disgrace it. The combat requires the player to have skills not just their character. Sorry WoW I left you because nothing mattered until we reached the highest level... GW has you beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.