Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchase Grants Beta, Early Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
While I would never spend so much on a game, the collectors edition actually sounds like a reasonable deal considering what you are getting. Hand painted miniatures are can be a bit pricy and art prints, actually in frames usually aren't dirt cheap either.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]leongrado[/nom]Uhh and I wanted to buy a disk version of the game...[/citation]
Why would you want that?
You obviously have access to the internet, MMO's are played online.
Besides, opening a cd-rom, waiting for it to start, hearing it start, OS takes a sh!t is a tedious chore.
But hey, who am I to judge? I still glance at a newspaper from time to time

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]Why would you want that?You obviously have access to the internet, MMO's are played online.Besides, opening a cd-rom, waiting for it to start, hearing it start, OS takes a sh!t is a tedious chore.But hey, who am I to judge? I still glance at a newspaper from time to time[/citation]

Not to mention most games' files are completely replaced by online updates after the first couple of weeks.

G

So far I only see a US and GB price tag, no EU or in my case, South African Rand price tag. I want this thing so I really hope it won't end up like SWTOR where we only got it sometime around the start of March even though I was part of the beta weekends.

So Arenanet, listen to your fans from the most southern tip of Africa. There are about 10 of us from my ex-WoW guild alone with another few friends from steam that is dying to buy the game and as for me I am dying for such content packed Collectors Editions. So please please PLEASE send us a few our way!

3r0s4nn1n

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Hello Tom's Hardware, just so you know it is not 1 day head start when you pre-order it is 3 days actually (info taken directly from Guild Wars 2's website).

Proof ---> :
Announcing Pre-Purchase for Guild Wars 2
March 13, 2012 6:00 AM

Starting April 10, players can secure their Guild Wars 2 Limited Collector's Edition, Digital Edition, or Digital Deluxe copy by pre-purchasing the entire game at buy.guildwars2.com or at select retailers. Players who pre-purchase any edition will have guaranteed entry into all beta weekend events, three-day headstart access to the final game, and Hero's Band in-game item. Learn more about our pre-purchase program and our incredible Collector's Edition right here!

Is this going to be an actual MMO, or is it going to be like the original Guild Wars, in which it was more like a Diablo2 server, only the towns were like the text based lobbies where people can get groups together, and all the combat areas are limited to a single group?

G

@3r0s4nn1n

Pre-Purchase grants 3 days head start
Pre-Order grants 1 day head start

"Will I be able to reserve character and guild names during the Headstart Access?

Yes, players who have Headstart Access will be able to claim character and guild names during that period that will carry over when Guild Wars 2 goes live. Players who pre-purchase and receive 3-day Headstart Access will have an advantage over players who pre-order and receive 1-day Headstart Access."

Source:http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/#fifty-one

G

Disk version is fail. Why don't you go buy hard-copies of movies and make a tower of movies with a Buddha statue and pray to it. Pray to it because it's your shrine to consumerism and you'll have soooo many movies that people will say, "OMG LOOK AT ALL THOSE MOVIES, I WORSHIP YOU LIKE YOU WORKSHIP YOUR BUDDHA STATUE ON TOP OF YOUR STACK-OF-MOVIES-SHRINE!" It will add a nice retro look to your house. You could even scatter the movies all over the house so it looks like you own so many you don't know what to do with all of them.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]Why would you want that?You obviously have access to the internet, MMO's are played online.Besides, opening a cd-rom, waiting for it to start, hearing it start, OS takes a sh!t is a tedious chore.But hey, who am I to judge? I still glance at a newspaper from time to time[/citation]

to play an mmo, you need an okish connection... hell dial up could support most mmos today (you would get lag spikes though)

for a fps, you almost require a dsl or cable modem...

now, to download a 25gb game... what do you need for that?

if it downloads as an exe than you need to install, at worst you need 75gb of free space
if it downloads as a game, you need time...

you need a 6 hour chunk of time, and its possible that if the system isn't perfect it will force a re download (right out of the gate i don't expect this to be perfect)

1 million people signed up for the beta, and that was a 2 day period of time... so lets assume a 1million week 1 people... how many places are capable of delivering 25gb of game to 1million people at the same time, all while saturating your connections.

than there is the whole store getting cut out, expenses on deliveries cut out, and all that crap, but the digital costs as much if not more than retail versions.

there are plenty of real reasons to prefer a physical coppy over a digital... format your computer, you have to re download the whole damn thing... while a dvd would have it on in under 1 hour, a download will most likely take at lest 2, and at worst 6 if they can only feed 1mb a second.

you also have to take into account down the line when this game gets pulled off line... it will be harder for a 3rd party to crack it and distribute it (im looking at the old phatacy star online when i say this)

[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Not to mention most games' files are completely replaced by online updates after the first couple of weeks.[/citation]

most of those files are minor... im going by everquest when i say this, the biggest files in the game that take space are the zone files, music and such, where they take up to 10gb of space alone, and most other content of the like is 1gb download... while most core game files will change over time... the bulk of the game files wont, and would be a pain in the butt to redownload again if format.

[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Is this going to be an actual MMO, or is it going to be like the original Guild Wars, in which it was more like a Diablo2 server, only the towns were like the text based lobbies where people can get groups together, and all the combat areas are limited to a single group.[/citation]

take a look at the game videos, it looks to be a full on mmo, and the party system seams at least to me to be its most appealing aspect.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks for your defense Alidan. I just want a physical copy so it doesn't take as long to reinstall and I'm not at the mercy of the servers. I remember in GW1 the loading times were really long for the first couple of days when I didn't install using my disks. After I installed using my disks, the loading times were much shorter.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Is this going to be an actual MMO, or is it going to be like the original Guild Wars, in which it was more like a Diablo2 server, only the towns were like the text based lobbies where people can get groups together, and all the combat areas are limited to a single group?[/citation]
Nope its an open world like most MMO's this time. none of the party instanced zones or anything.

They take the RIFT and war hammer dynamic events to the next level as well. Also no more running from quest giver to quest giver finding and completing quests, you run into quests as you explore the world. although there are objectives that kind of act like area quests that lead you around the zone. Not like WoWs or SWTOR quest system at all tho. GW2 is a legit next gen MMO...swtor was not.

Yogscast and TB have a lot of great videos they took during the press beta event arena net held. Good place to check out what the game really is like.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]While I would never spend so much on a game, the collectors edition actually sounds like a reasonable deal considering what you are getting. Hand painted miniatures are can be a bit pricy and art prints, actually in frames usually aren't dirt cheap either.[/citation]

Not only that but there is no subscription fees. You can easily pay 180 a year for a subscription on top of the cost of an MMO box price.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
CE are never worth it unless you want the doll. Even the Deluxe is pricey for an MMO which most MMOs are disappointing at launch. We'll see...

creatorsid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I'm with you leongrado. Disks are so much faster to load. When i reload all of my GW1 off disks i was playing in 2hrs but when i download The Eye of the North download only, it was 2 1/2 day later before i got to play.

And I to always hear someone poking fun about disks noise too, and I never get it, for ever the loudest thing in any of my 10 Xp PC's and 3 win7 PC's in one was the video card's on high load. Hell even in my 3 win98 PC's the HDD's are the louder than the disk drives. It like they all got the same bad joke of some steam forum and keep repeating it to show off.

jaygee02

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Because some countries still have slow expensive internet. 25GBs would take me several days and cost quite a bit to download. Getting it on a disk means I only have to download the updates, not the entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.