Guild Wars 2: Your Graphics Card And CPU Performance Guide

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxing graphics on my 6870 and i7-2600K @ 1680x1050 hovers ~35-40 fps. Dropping the viewable distance a bit keeps framerates 45+ and smooth

I do love this game. The small things really add up. You can deposit items directly into your crafting material storage from just about anywhere, not just at the bank. Speaking of the bank, you can access your shared vault from any crafting station. Continuing with crafting, all resource nodes are shared so you no longer have to race other players when harvesting wood and ore.

Kill-stealing is completely gone since everyone who participates in combat gets the same XP and loot drops for everyone. No more quest spawn camping. "Quests" are no longer go there kill that, fetch this. Just help out with certain tasks in an area, which is exactly what you're doing if you're farming.

The "My Story" is a nice touch. I loved GW1 for the missions and campaign story. Now you get a little more customization in it. Very fun, and nice replayability. I do miss the skill bar customization, though.

And JTT, I feel you on being the lone person around when an event triggers. I did that last night when I unwittingly angered a very large troll. It got . . . interesting.

Yeah, I was one of the few initially on the scene for that troll, and got dropped quickly. There was also a big Rotting Oakheart where I was the ONLY one there. There is so much to do though...going back in now (I'm off through Wednesday of this week).

MegaTheJohny

Honorable
May 8, 2012
hell guys. Big thanks to Tomshardware for this review, you guys are awesome.

I have problem with FPS in GuildWars2. My current configuration is:
CPU Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
RAM 6,00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T SE (LGA1366)
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5970 (Sapphire)
(got newest 12.8 drivers and amd_catalyst_12.7_cap3)

With "balanced" graphic settings my FPS is around 20, so I have to play all on low settings. Is my Graphic cart to old ? I was thinking to upgrade my graphic card to GTX 680 4GB, if I get much better performance or ATI 7970 ? What u guys think is GTX 680 worthed extra money and how much FPS more I get with GTX 680 4GB compared to ATI 7970? Should I buy new CPU?

Please help, I rly want to play GW2 with mid/max graphic.
Thanks
Teo

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]but when you are doing a cpu test on a game like this where its very scaleable, it would be nice to see the core 2 dual and quad, also a phenom dual tri and quad core (from what i understand athlon and phenom for most gaming scenarios are the same) because many of us have the old dual core, and quad core cpus, and dont feel the need to upgrade because its just not nessassary for normal computer use yet.[/citation]

Athlons and Phenoms share the same Stars core as Llano. Performance is virtually identical, except in RARE cases where the game makes use of the exrtra Cache in the Phenom II.

Perhaps you ought to try comparing the games on actual gameplay instead of graphical looks alone.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
[citation][nom]MegaTheJohny[/nom]hell guys. Big thanks to Tomshardware for this review, you guys are awesome.I have problem with FPS in GuildWars2. My current configuration is:CPU Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz RAM 6,00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-8-8-20)Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T SE (LGA1366) Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5970 (Sapphire) (got newest 12.8 drivers and amd_catalyst_12.7_cap3)With "balanced" graphic settings my FPS is around 20, so I have to play all on low settings. Is my Graphic cart to old ? I was thinking to upgrade my graphic card to GTX 680 4GB, if I get much better performance or ATI 7970 ? What u guys think is GTX 680 worthed extra money and how much FPS more I get with GTX 680 4GB compared to ATI 7970? Should I buy new CPU?Please help, I rly want to play GW2 with mid/max graphic.ThanksTeo[/citation]

Sounds like Crossfire is interfering with gameplay. Let's hope there is a driver update or a game patch soon. In all actuality, you should be murdering this game.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Where is the HD 3000 and 4000 review?
I know these are only integrated graphics but given the sheer number of casual players (on laptop users-since the desktop and mobile integrated graphics are virtually the same) they should be there if only as a baseline.

That would be my guess as well, especially considering XFire and SLI had problems in earlier betas. However, his list doesn't show two cards.

A Radeon 6450 barely maintained 30fps @ 1920x1080 with lowest detail settings, you really think an Intel IGP will do better than that? But if you're really curious, I could try running my HD3000 tonight. If I take it down to 1200x800, I might be able to play it.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Not much of a benchmark, but I can tell you how my laptop performs:

With an Intel Core i5-2410m (2.3 base, 2.9 turbo, dual core w/HT), Intel HD 3000, and 2x4GB DDR3-1333, I'd say I average around 30fps (if not a little over); during intense scenes, it'll drop into the low 20s, but for the most part it stays at 27~36. See this for graphical settings.

Edit: While we're on the subject of Intel HD, anybody know of any benchmarks showing the memory scaling of HD 3000? I've looked but haven't been able to find any. Should I just expect it to be similar to Llano's scaling? Been thinking about getting faster RAM.

308med

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]rdc85[/nom]I'm wonder how my pII x4 955BE will perform, there none in the chart...Anyone know? at stock speed and at 3.8 O.C....[/citation]

I'm running a 955BE at 4.0 with a slightly OC'd 7850. I get anywhere from 40-60 fps on maxed out settings at 1080.

EzioAs

Distinguished

The 5970 is a dual GPU card.

EzioAs

Distinguished

It's a really good card if it scales well, should perform close to the 580 and 7870, but I think it's better if you upgrade to a more modern single GPU card. If history is any indication, these dual gpu cards are never the best choice for playing future games. However, I would also advise you to go with the 670 because it performs about 85-95% of the 680 while costs 80%. If you have plans for triple monitor setup, a 4GB card is a good choice, but if you're playing at 1080p to 2560x1600, the 2GB version is enough

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]Thats why I really hope that piledriver/steamroller pulls through.[/citation]

Even though I personally switched from AMD to my current Sandy Bridge rig, I'd still consider a nice AMD build for one of my sons, but AMD has to show me they can truly bring the goods. I finally had enough of "ok, the last platform sucked, but for real this time, it's gonna be the bombay!" If Piledriver repositions them as a serious contender, and not just a budget-friendly alternative, I'd maybe even consider them on my next rig,but that's a big IF, and I don't want to get my hopes up to be let down again, especially when Intel has been so reasonably priced for the level of performance with SB.

Cleeve can you something for us?

Since this a newer game that actually use's four cores it provides for a great opportunity to demonstrate something. Toms has the hardware laying around so it shouldn't be hard to pull of if there is some time.

Can you rerun the fx-8150 tests but with every odd core disabled in the 4cu/4m configuration? We should be able to contrast it with the 8cu/4m bench's posted above and get an idea on the possible performance improvements.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Perhaps they could make an article about it, even? I saw a thread on here not too long ago where somebody did that and ran a few tests in 3DMark (iirc). I can't find the thread anymore though (I had it favorited, doesn't show up now), but in the synthetic tests it showed a roughly 19% increase in performance per core. I think it could make for an interesting article at the least - have a range of FX processors (41xx, 61xx, 81xx), and compare their stock and pared performance to SB or IB. Maybe throw in some overclocks, as well? (eg, FX, i5, and i7 at some common ground, like 4.5GHz) Sorry for getting off topic, it's just something I'd like to see done properly.

Blazorthon has given that advice quite a bit, though I don't know that he ran 3DMark on it, and I'd be interested to see what difference it makes in new games too.

The bigger question here is why you've leveled up to 13 without even starting the "My Story" quest lines yet. Ignoring the story of the game, for shame! ;)

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

It wasn't Blazorthon, it was somebody else (but I don't remember who). It does fit with everything I've seen Blazorthon say about it though (roughly 20% increase in IPC).

The bigger question here is why you've leveled up to 13 without even starting the "My Story" quest lines yet. Ignoring the story of the game, for shame! ;)
I prefer the open world to the story instances :3 Though Crystal Desert (server I'm on) has been pretty anti-social so far. Been LFG since opening day :l I may change worlds again if it's still free.

Ahh, I love the game story. One of the reasons GW1 was so fantastic. Instead of getting sent out to kill 10 giant ants, you get to push back a Charr counter-attack with the Prince. Instead of fetch quests all over the map, you're leading refugees over the mountains. I liked that your character seemed more important to the land than just another gold and gear farmer.

Gate of Madness has been fairly social since launch ( Henge of Denravi was excellent during beta. ) Then again I haven't tried getting big groups together since I've got a few friends on the server and we always team up.

But if I hear one more person ask where the bank is . . . :fou:

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

That is a fair point, but the way they've done "quests" and partying in the open world is so awesome that I can't bring myself to do the story again (played a fair bit of it during the beta). Maybe I'll go back and do it eventually, but for now I'd just like to get past level 32.

Gate of Madness has been fairly social since launch ( Henge of Denravi was excellent during beta. ) Then again I haven't tried getting big groups together since I've got a few friends on the server and we always team up.
Looks like it's still free (I dunno if they're ever going to change that), so I think I'll be joining you in GoM. Already know a couple people on it, so this is sort of win-win. Reason I didn't switch before was because it was full, but they raised the player cap for launch.

G

I have a q6600 stock (can't overclock, don't say this) and a 8800 gts 512 mb, before read this article I think to upgrade the video card but now i think is better upgrade the processor to i5 2500, i think right? (I don't have the money for both upgrade)

jesh4622

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Guys:
For all your questions on specs and how your performance will be, head over to the tech support section on guildwars2guru forums. There are home grown benchmarks and average frames on hundreds of cpu and gpu combinations.

I'd also like to mention that I built a windows 8 fx 6100 system for my brother. It's not complete, so I'm using my own video card and ram in it for now. (4.2ghz, hd 4870 1 gb, 8 gb g skill sniper @1866) I get almost • double• the frames of my own phenom ii 720be cpu. Motherboard are both 9xx series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS