Question Gut a chromebook and build a super windows laptop

Jul 22, 2019
Firstly, Hello! I be new. Long time reader. First time poster.

My goal is to turn my newly unsupported Chromebook into a high end Windows 10 laptop. Basically wanting to keep the shell and display. Gut every thing else. This is for the joy of DIY and really getting what I want. It would be better to just buy one. But if not crazy expensive, I wanna try and build one. My goal is around $1,000 or under.

Said Chromebook is a Lenovo 11e Think pad yoga. It'd be great if I could keep any parts. But do not know if say the Battery is the same or how to go about verifying. Even though the keyboard has slight differences, will that still at least work?

Thoughts and pointers are greatly appreciated! TIA!

I used to love to cobble towers together and would really like to build the absolute, perfect Windows machine. I set the goal of a grand to keep myself from going to far over board. Which I will do almost immediately. Snork

Unfortunately thats not going to work with a chromebook/laptop.
The shell and internal components are proprietary, you would never find a motherboard and battery that fits inside of the shell.
Even if you could, somehow, get a board inside, you likely would not be able to accommodate the more robust cooling system needed.

Jul 22, 2019
Thanks for the reply, Gam. I had not considered cooling.

Just asking here. The 11e, windows version Think pad has the same dimensions. Why couldn't a Windows motherboard, CPU, ram not be used? Literally asking if screw holes would not line up, etc.

It was actually difficult to get websites to believe my 11e Think pad was (is) a Chromebook. And not a Windows machine. Man, that was annoying!

Really do appreciate the input.

USAFRet

Titan
Not gonna work.
Laptops are not standardized as desktops are.

Even in the same model line they can be different.
I have 2x Asus Transformers. A T100T and a T101HA.
Superficially, they look almost identical. But I couldn't swap the innards, because even the ports out the exterior are in different places.

A Chromebook into a "high end" Intel or AMD laptop? Not a chance.
Screw holes, exterior ports, interior cooling situation...all drastically different.

Jul 22, 2019
Thanks all!

Time for plan "B" ("B" for Bawa-wa-wa-ah-ah" AKA Evil laugh) Again, more just a proof of concept & for the heck of it. New motherboard, CPU, RAM and make a shell out of a Goodwill, thrift store briefcase. Mount the screen on the upper and secure components in the lower portion.

I have always wanted to make a cooling compartment with plexiglass. The vent, use a clear tube and have the venting air suspend a ping-pong ball.

A sort of high functioning Rube Goldberg. (kinda liking where this is going...)

Jul 22, 2019
I'm kinda stoked, Gam. Is gonna be a fun build. What I am thinking to start is just buy the biggest, badest &most upgradable mother board made for or used by Lenovo thinkpads? It'd be great not to have to jury-rig connectors. The goal is to use any parts from this laptop. Touch screen, battery. The (just bought, replacement) keyboard is Chrome OS. Prety much same buttons with different markings. And, need to get a copy of windows. Thoughts on pro vs home?

What a ya think? Just start with a mother board?

Yay, new toy, LoL Again, the goal is super computer (in an old briefcase) Getting Lenovo to sell me something directly is not going well. Just say'n…..

I built my first tower from dumpster parts. It had a toggle switch for on/off. No kidding. When "windows 95" came up on the monitor, I panicked and unplugged it thinking I would inadvertently launch missiles. It was not connected to the internet. I got halfway through "Modems for dummies" before realizing it was just a card you put in.

Can ya see why I am asking for advice? LoL

Jul 22, 2019
Your fun
A suitcase PC with desktop parts, starting with a Chromebook?
The only part you might be able to use is....actually, nothing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

4th gen motherboards look accepting connecter wise. There is always soldering if needed.

A lil pricy but is a just for the fun of it build so just gonna explore.

Shopping for parts today at BestBuy. Told a geek squad tech, kid the idea about having a cooling vent that suspended a ping-pong ball with exhaust. The kid lit up and now wants to do the same with a tower he is working on.

Was really cool to see someone that age (early 20s) so energized by his chosen profecion. Really great kid with a great futre. And his project was really something to be marvelled. He asked I not repeat what he was attempting but think we will all be reading about this kid sooner if not later.

Firstly, Hello! I be new. Long time reader. First time poster.

My goal is to turn my newly unsupported Chromebook into a high end Windows 10 laptop. Basically wanting to keep the shell and display. Gut every thing else. This is for the joy of DIY and really getting what I want. It would be better to just buy one. But if not crazy expensive, I wanna try and build one. My goal is around $1,000 or under.

Said Chromebook is a Lenovo 11e Think pad yoga. It'd be great if I could keep any parts. But do not know if say the Battery is the same or how to go about verifying. Even though the keyboard has slight differences, will that still at least work?

Thoughts and pointers are greatly appreciated! TIA!

I used to love to cobble towers together and would really like to build the absolute, perfect Windows machine. I set the goal of a grand to keep myself from going to far over board. Which I will do almost immediately. Snork

Can't be done. Laptop boards aren't standardised and all parts on the vast majority of laptops and I'd say all of them under 2 grand have soldered CPUs and GPUs at a minimum. Most you could hope to do is upgrade RAM and an SSD if they're not soldered to the board and the SSD is more than likely Flash memory soldered to the board.

Jul 22, 2019
Can't be done. Laptop boards aren't standardised and all parts on the vast majority of laptops and I'd say all of them under 2 grand have soldered CPUs and GPUs at a minimum. Most you could hope to do is upgrade RAM and an SSD if they're not soldered to the board and the SSD is more than likely Flash memory soldered to the board.
Which is why the evolution of the project. Don't bother reading it.

Building a PC inside a briefcase is cool. Been done many times.
(just don't expect it to be actually portable)

Starting with a Chromebook for parts...that's the Bad Idea part.

It would be using the touch screen, battery and touchpad. As it is at present Intel Celeron, will work with new mother board &chipset and windows 10.

It would not be a tower in a box. It will be a laptop (components) in a brief case.

Now, THAT sounds like a fun idea.
When you get around to doing it, make a thread here of your build log (and link it in this thread so we can see)

Thanks again, Gam.

Thinking about this for a case; https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-in-x-13-in-black-aluminum-case-69318.html Still working on securing touchscreen.

Gonna finish on instructables. "Plan B briefcase laptop"

USAFRet

Titan
OK...laptop components in a briefcase...totally fine.

Be careful of those harborfreight cases. Even though it says "aluminum", the alu might just be the silver parts you see.
The black part may be stiff cardboard.

Or it may be actual full metal case.
Eyeball it before actually buying.

A better option might be one of these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-weatherproof-protective-case-x-large-64250.html

I have a couple of the next size down for camera cases. Absolutely solid.