[SOLVED] GUYS HELP ME REPAIR A COMPUTER

May 21, 2020
So im trying to fix a computer from a customer. The problem is that when the customer change the voltage of the powers supply from 115 to 230, the computer suddenly shutdown. and when they turn it on again. they notice a strange yellow light (Maybe a spark in the power supply) and its not turning on. NO POWER. FAN IS OFF. ITS BASICALLY DEAD. . So what i did is remove the current power supply and change it to a working one. It did turn on but theres no display in the monitor and every 10-15minutes, it shutdown. i also change the battery(THE CIRCLE BATTERY) of the MOBO and still the same. its literally not booting. what do you think is the problem?

May 21, 2020
Well this is an old computer and i don't even know the orginal parts. Everything is dusty. And i cant even remove the dust LOL. I believe the motherboard is also dead together with the cpu. But i dont know.

USAFRet

Titan
Well this is an old computer and i don't even know the orginal parts. Everything is dusty. And i cant even remove the dust LOL. I believe the motherboard is also dead together with the cpu. But i dont know.
Well, they killed it. How far do you want to go into "repair"? How many hours to devote to this old thing?

Connect their drive to some other PC, copy the personal data off it (if possible), and write the system off.

May 21, 2020
To be honest. I worked on this stuff the whole day trying to know the problem. But i believe the answer to this is they need to buy a new one. The only thing that i can save is the hard drive. Does that really happen when the power supply got damage, does that really affect the other components?

USAFRet

Titan
To be honest. I worked on this stuff the whole day trying to know the problem. But i believe the answer to this is they need to buy a new one. The only thing that i can save is the hard drive. Does that really happen when the power supply got damage, does that really affect the other components?
Absolutely!
Especially with old and/or low quality PSU's. They often lack sufficient protection circuitry.
And ESPECIALLY when the user switches the input voltage, while the system is running. Poof!

Just the existence of a switchable voltage input points to old/low quality. Anything reasonable is autoswitching.

It's dead, Jim.

May 21, 2020
Thanks a lot my brother. This is a huge help. New knowledge for me. And also i can explain to the customer why this is a dead end. Thanks a lot. God bless you 😁