H100i v2 cooling a 5930k what should the temps be

zlpw0ker

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
So I have the corsair h100i v2 aio cpu water cooler,and my cpu is 5930k. My cpu temps according to Corsair link is 28c at the most and 37c package and my h100i v2 is 30c. My 5930k is stock,its no overclocked.

I did remove the pre applied thermal paste since I rather have a custom thermal paste,got the one from Noctua.
I see on youtube a guy that has the h100i v2 installed on a i5 6600k and its idling around 22-25c in bios.
He then OC it to 4.5ghz and it ended up 28c in idle,but that is my stock temp for my cpu cooled on h100i v2.

It could be that I applied to little thermal paste or it could be a issue with the cooler.
Does anyone have the h100i v2 or h100i with a 2011-3 cpu(not xeon) that can tell me if my temps are good or bad.

thanks for any reply.

Solution
Settings between Furmark and FsE could explain the different results (resolution differences tested?), but all that seems normal for stock-stock for your CPU/GPU.

You certainly can try overclocking with good results like this (you have thermal headroom), but you really don't have to. The performance difference you see will more likely than not be virtually visually imperceptible, but will of course see score improvements. Again comes down to the resolutions you're driving, but everything looks to be in order.....

I would note that if you do tinker with OC's on the CPU, approach using Prime95 carefully:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2460870/prime95-damage-haswell-processor.html

There is a difference of opinions here, but...

Geekwad

Admirable
It sounds perfectly fine.

What are the temps under load? Intel has a nice little benchmark tool:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

And so does Asus:

https://rog.asus.com/11112013/overclocking/realbench-benchmarking-stress-test-insights/

zlpw0ker

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Im not sure under load,I have ran benchmark sw such as unigen,heaven and latest 3d mark xtreme,I can post them tomorrow.
I dl and installed the Intel sw you linked,I already have realbench installed. I ran the XTU benchmark and I got 44c package temp

Ill do some load benchmarking tomorrow that is more heavier under load and longer.

but Im hoping in the meantime that someone else could post their temps on similar cooling with x99 cpu.

zlpw0ker

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
so Im running Furmark,prime95 with coretemp to check overall temps on cpu and my gpu. I ran it for 30min @100 load obviously.
During testing I get 50-51c on gpu
the gpu core clock goes from 1680-1760mhz. what does that mean? does my gpu throttle or is that normal?
Im only asking because I ran Firestrike Extreme some days ago and it was on 1980 mhz on core clock. But I guess thats just because of the different synthetic benchmarks.
H100i v2 36.5c
CPU package at 57c.

Room temperature where im at is 22c.

Geekwad

Admirable
Settings between Furmark and FsE could explain the different results (resolution differences tested?), but all that seems normal for stock-stock for your CPU/GPU.

You certainly can try overclocking with good results like this (you have thermal headroom), but you really don't have to. The performance difference you see will more likely than not be virtually visually imperceptible, but will of course see score improvements. Again comes down to the resolutions you're driving, but everything looks to be in order.....

I would note that if you do tinker with OC's on the CPU, approach using Prime95 carefully:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2460870/prime95-damage-haswell-processor.html

There is a difference of opinions here, but I've personally dropped it for 2011v3 testing altogether (unsupervised long runs, at least)......

Solution

zlpw0ker

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

thanks for the info,I can relax a little:)
I didnt know that 22nm 2011-3 cpu's and prime95 is a bad combo,thanks for the heads up.
Ill uninstall it. Aida64 cpu and gpu testing is safe right?

zlpw0ker

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
so I ran the Aida64 for 30min and I got 47c ish on cpu. I thought that was pretty good.
I also ran Fire Strike Extreme and my cpu package was @40c while my gpu was 40-41c-

m3ntza

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Well i just finished up my system build and my results dont look pretty.. I'm getting 44c in idle mode with room temperature 25c. I will order a Arctic silver mx-4 termal paste again and give another try. (What are you using?)

I have not OCed my 5930k yet, waiting to see better Temps... Will post results soon !

A point that matters :

Since it's a 6-core CPU, how did you apply the thermal paste ? Just the "dot" in the middle ?If you take a look at the architecture you will see that the cores are placed outside. I'm thinking of a "square" so it catches all CPU cores or an "X".

Take a look at this video and let me know your thoughts :)

m3ntza

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Well I applied the "Square" method I'm now getting ~30c at idle.. Got overclocked at 4.4GHz @ 1.3V and have temps not reaching over 72C.. thats awesome... now I need some help for Memory OC, but that's a case for an other post !