H110i GTX Standoff Problem

hobbesmarcus

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
I am attempting to install the backplate for my H100i GTX cooler on my motherboard but I found out one of the standoffs will not screw in properly.

I thought it was the standoff itself but when I tried that standoff in another hole it worked fine, so it's definitely the hole itself which is the issue and not the standoff.

I removed the plate from the back of the motherboard, made sure the slots were all pushed inward as I'm installing this on an 1150, and tried to put the screws in. As you can see from the images, they all go in except for the one. It seems as if the hole is just too small or it's not created correctly?

Any idea how to fix this situation? I'm trying to assemble a new PC. Got the CPU and memory in, moved on to this step and now I'm stuck with 3 of the 4 of the standoffs going in.

I looked but couldn't find anyone with a similar issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

vzj2ip.jpg

2uh8l5j.jpg

Solution
Probably a manufacturing defect in the tapping of the threads. Two possible solutions.

Go to an auto parts, tool vendor or specialty fastener hardware store and find a tap that's the same thread and pitch as the other holes/standoff threads, and clean up the threads yourself

OR, contact Corsair and explain there is a defect with the threads in that hole, and ask for a replacement backplate. Usually they are pretty good about replacing hardware that is defective or missing, and will just send it to you. Other times, they may require that you RMA the entire unit. Depends on who you talk to and if they are feeling generous or stingy that day.
Probably a manufacturing defect in the tapping of the threads. Two possible solutions.

Go to an auto parts, tool vendor or specialty fastener hardware store and find a tap that's the same thread and pitch as the other holes/standoff threads, and clean up the threads yourself

OR, contact Corsair and explain there is a defect with the threads in that hole, and ask for a replacement backplate. Usually they are pretty good about replacing hardware that is defective or missing, and will just send it to you. Other times, they may require that you RMA the entire unit. Depends on who you talk to and if they are feeling generous or stingy that day.

Solution

mol1990

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Heard a couple of people with this issue.
Corsair do offer free replacements in regards to this.

If an immediate solution was required, you can layer thermal pads (from the likes of Thermal Grizzly) to build up the gap without too much of an adverse affect. The second option, like DB said, is to get a tap set with the same thread from a hardware store (Bunnings, Mitre 10 if you're in Australia). if you don't know the thread, bring it in and they'll be able to tell you.

Paul

hobbesmarcus

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Darkbreeze, I went with your second option and contacted Corsair. A replacement is being sent to me as I write this :) I must say, their customer service was very impressive.

Thanks Paul, glad to know it's not just me who had the issue. An immediate solution wasn't required and it's a good thing because I'd have no clue how to do what you mentioned. And as I'm in the United States, both Bunnings and Mitre 10 seem like quite a drive ;)

Thank you both for the help!