[SOLVED] H310 chipset M.2 sharing with SATA?

Jan 3, 2019
Hi, I have an MSI H310M PRO-M2 motherboard and am considering a M.2 ssd for it: Samsung 860 evo 250 or 500gb.

I've read quite a few articles about how the M.2 port disables one of the SATA ports when used. However I'm unable to find info on that in the motherboard manual at all. Anyone able to advise me on this?

Solution
M.2 IS Sata, and chipsets only have so much resources to allocate. So if your mobo has 6 Sata ports, it can disable 5/6 depending on the drive, since it then becomes 5/6. This usually isn't a problem, it's basically just replacing the header for its own use. Most systems only use @3-4 anyways, hdd/ssd/optical pand some AIO's. Since the ssd would be on m.2, it works out the same.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
M.2 IS Sata, and chipsets only have so much resources to allocate. So if your mobo has 6 Sata ports, it can disable 5/6 depending on the drive, since it then becomes 5/6. This usually isn't a problem, it's basically just replacing the header for its own use. Most systems only use @3-4 anyways, hdd/ssd/optical pand some AIO's. Since the ssd would be on m.2, it works out the same.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure, I couldn't find any either, anywhere. There's no guarantee it actually does reroute the port though, it's usually on the 6port mobo's, but yours is a 4port, so may not since the chipset will support upto 6.

It'll usually say which ports if it does, and usually the final port(s) not 1/2 etc