News Hacked Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 Source Code Allegedly Sold

albatross83

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Another theory speculates that the buyer might be the government.

Definitely not the US government. First of all, CD Projekt Red is a Polish company, so the US has no direct interest in the outcome.

Moreover, the US has a strict policy against paying ransoms, and only (relatively) recently permitted private entities to pay ransoms on their own. And that's for human beings. They're definitely not going to shell out for hacked source code for a foreign company.

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
Definitely not the US government. First of all, CD Projekt Red is a Polish company, so the US has no direct interest in the outcome.

Moreover, the US has a strict policy against paying ransoms, and only (relatively) recently permitted private entities to pay ransoms on their own. And that's for human beings. They're definitely not going to shell out for hacked source code for a foreign company.

Well CDPR has a lot of American investors and they are the ones already suing CDPR ...... They will do everything they can to cut further losses

If you want to catch these criminal sonuvb*tches the best way is for the FBI to buy it and trace it back to it's origins and then bust their balls ...... Kind of like they did to the scumbags that were holding hospitals ransom in the middle of a Pandemic ..... Those guys disappeared real quick and their networks were shut down .... Unless the hackers have the protection of the Russian, Chinese, NK or Iranian governments they are vulnerable

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
All of these games are DRM free anyway, they are on GOG. W3 GOTY is only £7 atm as well and Gwent is Free anyway.

Byte code and source code are two entirely different beasts ...... No much you can do with the byte code installed on your computer, it really doesn't tell you much about the IP they use to do things like control AI or make a very dense open world that can still load into the limited memory of a game console

The source code however gives up all your little IP secrets that can be implemented into a different game engine ..... When you get right down to it there are only a handful of game engines that can seamless load and unload assets in a large open world at the same time as controlling AI to bring everything to life ..... It's an artform and at one time even CDPR had to lease the tech from someone else and spent a lot of time and money perfecting their open world game engine for Witcher 3

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
This is really much ado about nothing. If another company uses CDPR's source code in their own game then that opens up their weak spot for MASSIVE lawsuit damage. Hackers could in theory make a "free" version for mass download (you're an idiot if you think these hackers are just giving away cracked games out of the goodness of their hearts), but as was pointed out there's already DRM free versions on the internet right now. Having the source code is great for making cheats like aimbots and wallhacks - but they're not MP games so it doesn't really matter if you cheat or not. I'm having a hard time figuring out why this matters unless CDPR has pirated other companies' source code into theirs and doesn't want anyone to know.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
D

Deleted member 14196

I don’t see the benefit of anybody buying the source code for any reason it just doesn’t make sense. That’s why I like the comment that it’s Poland who bought it just so they could prop up their company with extra money

Reactions: PapaCrazy

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I don’t see the benefit of anybody buying the source code for any reason it just doesn’t make sense. That’s why I like the comment that it’s Poland who bought it just so they could prop up their company with extra money

Yep, and possibly get better info/use better forensics than CDPR has at its disposal. Whatever their recent sins are, CDPR is the pride of Poland. It's a symbol of their capability, and a slice of influence in world culture. I know they were given atleast $7 million from the Polish government for software development. If CDPR calls up Poland's ISA, it's a different thing than Bethesda calling up the FBI.

Byte code and source code are two entirely different beasts ...... No much you can do with the byte code installed on your computer, it really doesn't tell you much about the IP they use to do things like control AI or make a very dense open world that can still load into the limited memory of a game console

The source code however gives up all your little IP secrets that can be implemented into a different game engine ..... When you get right down to it there are only a handful of game engines that can seamless load and unload assets in a large open world at the same time as controlling AI to bring everything to life ..... It's an artform and at one time even CDPR had to lease the tech from someone else and spent a lot of time and money perfecting their open world game engine for Witcher 3

Xy tree hashes cross hashed with distance nodes for assets.

That said ANY game company dumb enough to steal this tech are dumb asses because it's fairly easy to test for stolen code by looking for key repeating binary sequences like specific order dependent math ops.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Someone, maybe related to government, buy the W3 source code from a dark web seller and everybody’s wondering who it might be?
The answer is obvious; Dijkstra is behind this!

dmoros78v

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
"Regardless, what this means for the average person is that we’ll potentially see full, uncompromised DRM-free copies of these games hitting...certain websites soon."

Err, yeah, they have been DRM Free since day one on "certain website" called GOG.com ... lol
I have bought all three there to support their policy of DRM free games, and also had saved money by doing so as they also sell cheaper than other stores.

To be honest I dont see what a third party could gain by having access to this code..., DRM free games could be easily dissasembled, no idea who would pay 7 millions and what benefit they could earn, could someone explain it to me?

dmoros78v

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
But GOG.com has their own level of DRM. Their executable is built within their wrapper. Without the GOG executable you can't install the game.
Not true, if you enter GOG with a web browser and go to your games, you can download installation files that can be used withouth the GOG launcher and download them from there, this is in case you dont want to install GOG launcher which is totally optional.

This is why I love GOG, and they have cheaper prices to boot!.

Reactions: phenomiix6

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
Yep, and possibly get better info/use better forensics than CDPR has at its disposal. Whatever their recent sins are, CDPR is the pride of Poland. It's a symbol of their capability, and a slice of influence in world culture. I know they were given atleast $7 million from the Polish government for software development. If CDPR calls up Poland's ISA, it's a different thing than Bethesda calling up the FBI.

I think the big difference is that, like most people, the FBI is still angry that TESO was absolutely nothing like Skyrim.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
You must be crazy if you think the Polish government isn't knee deep into CDPR, they were one of the first that started investigations inside CDPR to determine any fraud or money leak. I highly doubt that the big marketing decision didn't have full acknowledgement from some governament' sector.

Feb 10, 2021
Could it be that somebody could discover a way to hack into the users systems from this source code? Seems like finding a way in to all those computers that have the game installed is of way more interest to hackers that any actual game play mods or posting it for free. Why would you pay for something and offer it for free unless you are going to extract some money out of the free version. Yet there will be people who down load the free version and get hacked. Guaranteed !

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Doubtful that any modders will get their hands on this (but if they do I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk mods)
There are mods already. Lots of them. That was suggested as might be part of the problem with Cyberpunk being hackable. People were downloading and installing sketchy mods and save game files (I might be wrong, I didn't follow the story after the first initial post).
NexusMods has a lot already, and you know tonnes more are coming. The Witcher 3 was modable, too. Ray Tracing was a mod on NexusMods before CDPR mentioned it coming to The Witcher 3.
Personally, I'm curious about CDPR's version and when it will be released. I need to upgrade my GPU before I can play it, and so many other games that I have, or on my wish list, but stuck waiting for supply like everyone else.