Hacker Says He Compromised Intel, Gained Private Info

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxie81

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]guys it doesn't matter billions of websites have the picture now[/citation]

I used to hold Tom's in a higher standard. However.... I'll throw them in with the rest of the gutter trash that posted this info to begin with.

G

I'd like to know the person's intentions. If good, they're pushing the limit at what most people will find acceptable for a grey hat (i.e. publicly posting the above screenshot).

Kind of reminds me of how MS thought Win XP had no known vulnerabilities despite repeated warnings from a group that had found a legitimate exploit. MS ignored the warnings and the group released the exploit, which forced a Win XP machine to reboot (because the RPC service was shutdown) whenever it connected to the internet. Ever since then, MS has taken an aggressive stance on patching any holes in their OS's.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
If he is stealing blueprint of next gen Intel CPU and send it to AMD to spark up fierce competition/price war between those 2 companies leading to much cheaper CPU. I'll praise him.

bloodlover

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Maybe in fascist Europe but not in the US.[/citation]

Hate to brake your bubble bro' but US is the fascist country these days.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
ITT: Posters who don't understand the difference between hacking and cracking.

Calling him a hacker is incorrect.
Calling him a criminal is correct.
Calling him a cracker would be correct.

Oh and I agree strongly with bigdragon. Who cares about emails and credit cards when we could've gotten inside info on Intel's latest fab technologies.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
While I dont agree with these hackers or crackers in general, I do see the usefulness of what this person is attempting to do, and what it seems like he is trying to do. To me it seems like this person is providing a useful service to these businesses he has hacked into, much in the same way some former professional thieves get paid to break into banks and other businesses to test security systems/measures. If business's like Intel and others he has hacked don't realize these types of vulnerabilities exist how are they to be expected to prevent them? Yes he broke into their computer system, yes he stole confidential, and personal user info including CC#'s, but he is actually performing a service to Intel, now that they know about the vulnerability they can patch it and hopefully prevent future breakins although no computer system now or in the foreseeable future will ever be 100% secure.

G

Guys its reported BY INTEL that this breach was real. X-pOSed, or WeedGrower, who you can find on twitter via twitter.com/iCauseRuckus, had a fake product page up on Intel FOR 2 YEARS, he had the product page ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE, running actively for 2 years, and he checked it 2 days ago, and the file was public, anybody in the world had view rights to it, it is reported that he said, "I'm surprised nobody leaked such data. It was on the Intel.com domain itself." - and when he checked it 3 days ago, it was FILLED with data. 50k to be exact.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Maybe in fascist Europe but not in the US.[/citation]

You clearly have not been to Europe; or have an idea what 'fascist' means !

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]there is such a thing as a grey area, not releasing the info in full is a good thing, releasing enough to verify its true also is, and if he tells how he did it, it can be patched.getting hacked into and a website is only tiresome if you don't have a plan for when it happens. fix the vulnerabilities and it doesn't happen any more. [/citation]

I don't understanding the part - not releasing the info in full.
What do you mean by gray area?

There can be some vulnerabilities, I agree. Hackers get into intel or Sony, where the hell we stand? Max security is not never enough.

cybot_x1024

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]If he is stealing blueprint of next gen Intel CPU and send it to AMD to spark up fierce competition/price war between those 2 companies leading to much cheaper CPU. I'll praise him.[/citation]

At least that way he would be sure the next PC he buys wouldn't be overpriced as a result of a monopoly

LOL yea AMD would find a way to fail with it. thats what they are doing best these days

Status
Not open for further replies.