Hacker: Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Since 2001 'till today: Not a single virus for Mac?

Not One?

Not one for Linux either?

If that Makes Windows secure, then I'd prefer the insecure ones thanks.

-ND

G

Well, I use both systems intensively, and I must say, both fail in some ways, and both win in other ways. I don't get why people care so much about the differences between macs and pc's? If you like a banana better then a cherry, then eat a banana. And let those who prefer Rock over Techno listen to Rock. It's just a personal flavour, and a personal preference... Personally I prefer working on a mac cause I find the environment much more serene and tranquil. And I say this while my daytime job is .Net programmer, so clearly I work on Windows to.

Let people enjoy what they choose that they wanna enjoy instead of breaking them down cause they choose different then you do.

G

Windows has got large user base... and that makes it preferred target for the hackers... and windows has got more freewares and tools available for download... and that makes it more vulnerable to attacks... Most of those complaint about windows continue with windows... most of those who complaint about windows being slow, have 10-15 startup application filling up the systray... :)

most of those who complaint about windows being slow, have 10-15 startup application filling up the systray... :)
Faster hard drives are making this less and less of a problem. once SDD's get cheaper this may not even be an issue. My 3 x WD Black 640s(in [R]aid0) blow my single Seagate 320 away on time from boot to responsive desktop.

G

Let's not read this out of context. ASLR and DEP make buffer overflows more difficult to execute. However, as indicated by so many exploits in Windows Vista and several already in Windows 7 indicate, these do not "prevent" them.

When looking at which operating system is "more secure" we must look at which allows unwanted code execution in general; not only buffer overflows. We must also look at which operating system discloses more information, which allows easier cross-account local access, etc etc. In all areas in question, either due to more effort or less security measures, Windows is far an away less secure than any *nix-based system, including OSX.

I work in OCIS on a college campus. Our biggest problem has been with malware finding new ways to get its self installed through IE, Firefox, and/or Windows holes. Seems like nothing short of white-listing can effectively prevent this kind of stuff (eg. AntiVirus 2010). I use mac and linux boxes at home except for the one Windows computer used for a gaming system for the family. I am yet to see anything ever get inadvertently installed or executed on my mac or *nix systems. EVER.

Therefore, say what you will, but OSX and *NIX systems have consistently been more secure in the real world. When targeted specifically by an experienced security enthusiast, I would imagine that "the most secure system" varies from one day to the next, but I trust my Mac 10 to 1 over any Windows box.

The next time you think about the topic ask yourself this. Would I feel good about letting a random 10 year-old use my Windows computer without monitoring him? I wouldn't. My Mac on the other hand would be just fine assuming he didn't drop it.

G

oh shut up!

there are million dollar bounties on the black and grey market to make a self replicating virus or spyware for mac os, so far there IS NONE. and odly enough even with ASLR windows 7 still has new malware coming out everyday!.. When windows stops running arbitrary code arbitrarily let me know.

And security through obscurity is a myth, maybe Apple thought ASLR was stupid; I agree.

theitalian

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
A mac is like a house way out in the middle of no where with its doors wide open for anyone to come in. A Windows based pc is like a house in the bad part of the city with bars on its windows and 7 locks on the front door. Windows is way more secure because its more likely to be attacked. So if the market share goes up for apple then thats like having some neighbors move in next door.

G

Heh. I've had windows and mac so i'm not one guy who just says, "ZOMGROFLMFAOMACPWNSPC" but honestly. IT has nothing to so with how many machines are sold. Sure, Macs will be a bigger target once ore are sold. But Macs do have a library scramble function, to decoy hacker attacks. Macs also have the sandbox method to only allow foreign access to certain files. Macs have the Unix program to deny attacks. Macs are faster, easier, and more secure. 'Nuff said.

G

ive used macs on the web 22 years, never had anyone hack me. never had a virus, spyware, adware, malware, root kits., trojan horse, key logger... etc.. .etc etc... none of the fun stuff windows users have to battle every second of every day. I know windows users that get this stuff ALL the time. yeah, windows is more safe. RIGHT.

G

so what if "Patch Tuesday" never existed? PC's would be screwed!!

G

As predicted, this changed from a discussion to an anti-Apple rant.

I use both on a regular basis.

OS X works beautifully on laptops. I also think it is much more streamlined and elegant which does not only make it more pleasant to use but makes it faster to get work done. Much as I hate Apple's buzzword-centric marketing, it does "just work". Everything's simple, but still useful. It's a joy to use. It's centered on a pleasant experience.

Windows seems much more like a business computer to me. It's focused more on security and power rather than user experience. It's much less pleasant to use and much less streamlined, but it works better for just getting work done.

It's a pickup truck vs. a sports car: both do a job, but the jobs are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.