Hackintosh Maker Releases Liquid-cooled Core i7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]what do mac users need with a 6-core high-end system? do itunes and garage band really hog up that much power?[/citation]
No, those are half pints compared to sample engines and recording software like Vienna Symphonic Library, East West Quantum Leap products, Pro Tools, etc. With sample libraries, one can easily run into a brick wall with loading gigabytes of samples at a time. These high end media programs take up a LOT of processing power.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I think the primary purpose of quo is to show the general public that apple is in fact NOT magical, they are just computers like anything else, and by the way they ass rape you for one. A better move would be for someone to get people to realize the iPhone is just like any other smartphone, and there are no elves in that either.
However, from a consumer standpoint who is smart and likes the Mac OS but doesnt like the price premium for middle of the road hardware, I can see quo being an option. I am pretty happy with my Mac Pro hack, consisting of gb x58-ud3r / GTX 260 Core i7 920 and h50 cooler, clocking the CPU at 4.2 + turbo boost, hyperthreading ON and a raptor HD and 12GB RAM. It routinely runs circles around the REAL Mac Pro over in the graphics design office he simply couldnt live without, and cost 1/3 of the cost of his 3.0ghz Mac Pro with 16 GB RAM and a shitty Seagate 500GB 7200 drive and the laughable GT120 video card it has. But hey, its a shiny silver case with an apple logo on it with 2 front usb ports and firewire, mine is a boring black case with 4 USB ports eSATA, and firewire.
Ok enough jabbing at apple..
(Written on a MacBook Pro (6,1) btw)

theblade

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
[citation][nom]trnddwn33[/nom]Meaning even the manufacturer knows Mac users can't do anything without their hand being held[/citation]
Yeah, last time Apple let their hand's go they weren’t even able to hold their iphones right.

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]pito[/nom]Dell? Really? try something like CyberPowerPC.com, unless you like to pay double of the actual price for any part upgrade. even that you already pay for the primary part on the original build price.[/citation]

He did say even Dell.

phych

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]what do mac users need with a 6-core high-end system? do itunes and garage band really hog up that much power?[/citation]

Because the 12 cores on a regular Mac Pro is too much?

eloplayspolo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
[citation][nom]justinjkiss[/nom]are u an stupid... if you build your own you might be able to make a Hackintosh.... if you buy from Dell you WONT be able to make a Hackintosh.... This article is about hackintosh not price comparisons and you did an apples to oranges comparison. have you ever priced a Mac Pro?[/citation]

pretty sure there are premade version of osx that users have already set up for installs on Dell specific computers, such as one of the most popular uses for hackintosh around, 9" dell laptop.
..that being said... "are u stupid"?

G

Actually building your own offers still a better value. I put a better desktop together for under $300 that would have cost me $400 in a box. The other advantage is more flexible Bios settings, limitless choices of options and the fact you built it so you know what's inside!

oh2bamonkey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
can itunes even use any multi-threading?

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]No, but apple computers are about status more than what they do. Most people own an apple because it's a trendy status symbol.[/citation]
You could make that argument with Macbook laptops and iMac computers (although I would say most iMac buyers want to work on the OSX interface more than impress people with their desktop at home) but not with buyers of Mac Pro towers. As the name implies, these users are typically professionals, mostly in the creative or science fields. It is these users that will take advantage of 6-cores. Almost everything you see and hear on TV, in movie theaters, music videos & albums, etc. was mastered on Macintosh computers, mostly because so much industry standard software and plug-ins are only for Mac.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]You could make that argument with Macbook laptops and iMac computers (although I would say most iMac buyers want to work on the OSX interface more than impress people with their desktop at home) but not with buyers of Mac Pro towers. As the name implies, these users are typically professionals, mostly in the creative or science fields. It is these users that will take advantage of 6-cores. Almost everything you see and hear on TV, in movie theaters, music videos & albums, etc. was mastered on Macintosh computers, mostly because so much industry standard software and plug-ins are only for Mac.[/citation]

I assume you must be referring to protools, which now supports windows vista pretty well. Adobe already has shown PC users a lot of love as the adobe suite is massively faster due to GPGPU support on windows. The lack of a video card faster than the old 280 for mac is a major problem as well. I think mac dominance (in that area) is in the process of changing in a big way. Apple clearly has tossed aside the relationship with adobe which WAS in my opinion the best thing apple had going for it.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]I assume you must be referring to protools, which now supports windows vista pretty well. Adobe already has shown PC users a lot of love as the adobe suite is massively faster due to GPGPU support on windows. The lack of a video card faster than the old 280 for mac is a major problem as well. I think mac dominance (in that area) is in the process of changing in a big way. Apple clearly has tossed aside the relationship with adobe which WAS in my opinion the best thing apple had going for it.[/citation]
I WISH that were the case, my friend. I'm a film composer studying at NYU, and I'm a PC guy. They... are Mac. There are still several big programs in the music field that are keeping people from switching over. Logic, Final Cut Pro, and Digital Performer. Those are juggernauts in media production. The problem is that FCP and Logic are both Apple products. Unless Apple decides to commit suicide and provide these products with full support for Windows, then the music production industry will stick with Macs. I understand the hardware comparison, but what has been the industry standard has now become tradition, and it's pretty hard to part with tradition, no matter how much better PC's perform.

Scanlia

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Too much power is never a bad thing.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Video, graphics and sound editing can (and will hog up your ram).

G

1 - current Mac Pro's are bad price/performance at low and mid levels
2 - Reason they mentioned maintenance free liquid cooled is likely problems with G5 liquid-cooled - also indicates why Apple has been loathe to use 3.6 GHz chip - Intel's chps have been running hot. This is why laptop chips have not improved.
3 - I just bought and am using a refurbed 2009 I7 27 inch iMac - great bargain at 1699. I am currently ripping my X-files collection (not pirated) at over 4x the previous speed and I will be changing Handbrake to 64 bit, which should help further as I went with 32 not knowing that my computer came 64 out of the box.
I wanted a dual quad or single hex, but they were overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.