Half-Life 3 Rumored to Have RPG, Open World Elements

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Arls[/nom]If they can pull off HL with an RPG element....it could be awesome. However something about HL+RPG doesn't sound right together.[/citation]

Role Playing Game = RPG

try not thinking of it like levels, and try thinking of it like this
instead of having all guns, or a 2 gun limit (thanks halo and modern warfare for making that popular)
try thinking of it in the terms of a deus ex inventory and the need to keep track of things you have and don't have, and with the other part of rpg, as in the role, you are freeman this time, instead of walking around in his body, you make his choices. with multipul end games, each different and if thats not the case, at least the means to the ends are different.

i could see that being interesting.

uz13l

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]Have faith in Valve they haven't let us down yet, so far they are on of the few game companies we can have faith in so don't don't lose that.[/citation]

I mean no disrespect, but I feel let down by Valve. They have had 8 years to do HL3 and what do we get? Two VERY short expansions that took WAY to long to release. I LOVE the HL storyline, I was grateful for the expansions and what they added to the story. But I feel Valve has poured their resources into Steam and other games and neglected HL. They are sitting pretty off of steam, and yet they appear to not use those resources to get HL3 out.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I hope HL3 won't be another Duke Nukem fall down.[/citation]
Agree, please no RAGE look alike, if they have to go that route use the SkyRim engine/style.

Johmama

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
If I can be honest, I would not really be happy about HL3 having RPG elements. I think if they implemented them into the game, it's taking away from what made us fall in love with HL. If you throw in RPG elements, it's almost taking away from the experience and the awesomeness of HL. I don't mind games that do that (I've invested a lot of hours into Borderlands 2 since it's release), but I just don't think they belong in the Half-Life universe.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
hmm... borderlands 2 style game play? Obviously not the animation style (not meant in a negative way) maybe something in the style of Heavy Rain. Would totally be sold on it but quite frankly, im in the vapor ware section of the bleachers on this one. Why not just make a movie using the new Source engine if they dont ever plan on releasing the game? How about a series of books, its a phenomenal story that needs an ending!

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Now that I'd buy. I'm not much of a FPS guy (therefore consider the series as "ok") but throw some RPG elements here and there and I'd enjoy it

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]notsleep[/nom]how about giving us episode 3 first?[/citation]
Obviously from those thumbs down Tom's Hardware is flush with punk nubnuts don't know what HL2 is, and probably weren't even born when HL came out. It's sad state of things.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Half life 2 was a great story driven game (despite the ending) I hope if this is true it doesn't make it too distracting. Half Life was great because you went area to area without having to dig in an inventory, you just played and as a result you felt like you were there.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Anyone else hoping that when Half Life 3 gets released it will be with a newer Source engine and that the graphics will look insane? I'm also hoping that when they announce the game it will be close to release date like with Half-Life 2 before that hacker stole the sour code. And of course we are all hoping that after all the waiting that the game isn't mediocre.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]And we will have a crippling DRM tied to Half Life in order to improve it.[/citation]

They already have Steam why would they need to add additional DRM?

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]leakingpaint[/nom]Half life 2 was a great story driven game (despite the ending) I hope if this is true it doesn't make it too distracting. Half Life was great because you went area to area without having to dig in an inventory, you just played and as a result you felt like you were there.[/citation]

I remember when I first played the game. I felt like I was in the movie Minority Report, with the thrilling action and running around on the roofs to get away from those soldiers and the helicopters lol... good times.

G

I dunno about this, it seems like it'd be way too radical a change for Valve and Half-Life. However, I would love to see the day where they make an open-world capable engine, that would be absolutely phenomenal. The limits of the current system of map development are rather complex and restrictive, you can't really make anything too big. But an open-world Source successor would do away with that issue completely.

As for the RPG elements and quests, well those have been done before on the current Source engine by other developers (albeit limited in scale, perhaps with the exception of EVE Divine Cybermancy), so those parts are definitely possible. However, its not the question of "could" it be done, but rather "should" it be done. Half-Life has never been about quests or rpg elements. Its been about a seeing the world through the eyes of single man as he carves his way through catastrophe after catastrophe, beating the odds at every turn.

Not a single Half Life title, official or spin off has ever deviated from this. Its hard to think they'd suddenly do so now. Even their latest game, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive had essentially the exact same gameplay as all the previous CS titles. Valve isn't one to change the way a series plays on release of a new title. If they're going to make a drastic change into the realms of Open-World FPS RPGs, it won't be Half-Life. It'll be some new masterpiece to add to their impeccable record. Well, minus Ricochet.

einheriar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
My problem that turned me off from HL2 is that the game had a very cold and lonely feel and atmosphere about it .especially when replaying.

growup

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
for those griping about it being like Duke Nukem or omfg I waited this long for this? You whine as much as a kid that had their sugar snatched from them. Shutup. They're the developers blowing time/effort to please your sorry @##. If you dont like it, go develop a game your---oh wait, HAHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.