[SOLVED] Half of my RAM is not being used

PURSUER9

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
MB: MSI B450M Gaming Plus
RAM: HX432C16PB3AK2 (HyperX DDR4 3200Mhz)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700

Although there is a slight bottleneck because of my CPU (RAM only able to run at 2400mhz) everything should work otherwise. However, ever since I built my computer, half of my RAM has never been used.
I am running a Dual Channel (2x8GB) and I have tried the following:
  • Updating BIOS
  • Clearing CMOS
  • Unticking Maximum memory under Advanced Boot options
  • Reseating the RAM sticks to multiple different slots (My PC does not boot when using the DIMMA2 slot, this is the default slot for a single RAM stick, however, everything is fine when I try booting with a RAM stick slotted on DIMMB2. It displays the full amount of RAM and barely any memory is being hardware reserved when using a single RAM stick. I tried this with both RAM sticks. I also tried running Dual Channel on slots DIMMA1 and DIMMB1, this also resulted in only half of the RAM being used. Both RAM sticks are being recognized even when I use DIMMA2 (It works fine if there's another RAM stick slotted in). I also tried slotting them in DIMMA1 and DIMMB2 to try to make both of them run in Single Channel, and, for some reason, it says it is still running in Dual Channel. Hence a case of faulty MB or RAM is highely unlikely.)
  • Running MemTest86 (It also recognizes both of my RAM sticks but only half of the memory)

I am not using Integrated Graphics, in fact an RTX2060 is plugged in and working as intended. I am running the latest BIOS version.
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

Solution
My problem has been solved. For whatever reason, using different RAM sticks worked and I was able to use all of the 16GB. After putting my old RAM sticks back in (replacing, not adding them) I was able to see the full amount of physical memory. However, I am sure the solutions mentioned by other users in this thread might work for someone who is experiencing the same issue, so I recommend this fix if nothing else mentioned in this thread works.
Hi PURSUER9 (y) and Welcome to the Forum :)

Unusable RAM issues: All have to be checked.

1. Ram mismatch
  2. Motherboard RAM slot/s faulty
  3. Operating system is 32bit version of Windows.
  4. Bios is outdated or not configured correctly.
  5. Memory re-map requirement.
  6. A Motherboard utilizing Integrated graphics issue. Some of your RAM is set aside for the integrated GPU and is not available for programs.

1 System config I know of as there are a few.

To fix this, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then click msconfig in the Programs list.
  2. In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.
  3. Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK.
  4. Restart the computer.

How do I make my RAM usable Windows 10 64 bit?

What can I do if Windows 10 isn't using all RAM?

1. Use the 64-bit version of Windows.
  2. Turn off Auto RAM Virtualization.
  3. Check if your RAM is properly seated.
  4. Check if your RAM is faulty.
  5. Rearrange your RAM modules.
  6. Change your BIOS settings.
  7. Use msconfig.
  8. Modify your registry.
:):)

PURSUER9

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
one of your sticks is not running, id check your CPU, try to reseat it and dont forget to check if there isnt any damaged pin or some thermal paste on socket
Hi PURSUER9 (y) and Welcome to the Forum :)

Unusable RAM issues: All have to be checked.

1. Ram mismatch
  2. Motherboard RAM slot/s faulty
  3. Operating system is 32bit version of Windows.
  4. Bios is outdated or not configured correctly.
  5. Memory re-map requirement.
  6. A Motherboard utilizing Integrated graphics issue. Some of your RAM is set aside for the integrated GPU and is not available for programs.
1 System config I know of as there are a few.

To fix this, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then click msconfig in the Programs list.
  2. In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.
  3. Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK.
  4. Restart the computer.
How do I make my RAM usable Windows 10 64 bit?

What can I do if Windows 10 isn't using all RAM?

1. Use the 64-bit version of Windows.
  2. Turn off Auto RAM Virtualization.
  3. Check if your RAM is properly seated.
  4. Check if your RAM is faulty.
  5. Rearrange your RAM modules.
  6. Change your BIOS settings.
  7. Use msconfig.
  8. Modify your registry.
:):)
I already tried reseating the CPU twice and the RAM sticks came in a pair. Like I said, both of them work as intended (Total physical memory is being shown as 8192 when only one is slotted). I am not using integrated graphics and I have already tried all of the fixes above. The only option in BIOS regarding memory is XMP (latest BIOS version). The problem only occurs when two of the RAM sticks are in my PC (For some reason, Speccy and CPU-Z tell me that my memory is running in Dual Channel even when they are slotted in slot 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, or 1/4, in that case half of my memory is still being hardware reserved).

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Could be you applied too much pressure to CPU when you installed the cooler. Have you tried loosening it up? One of the signs is, memory channels stop working. If it's an AIO, it should be handtight, do NOT use a screwdriver. If you use an aircooler, read the instructions it came with.

PURSUER9

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
Could be you applied too much pressure to CPU when you installed the cooler. Have you tried loosening it up? One of the signs is, memory channels stop working. If it's an AIO, it should be handtight, do NOT use a screwdriver. If you use an aircooler, read the instructions it came with.
I recently replaced my stock cooler with a liquid cooler, and the issue persists. I will try loosening the screws, since I did use a screwdriver. I'll let you know how that goes.

PURSUER9

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
My problem has been solved. For whatever reason, using different RAM sticks worked and I was able to use all of the 16GB. After putting my old RAM sticks back in (replacing, not adding them) I was able to see the full amount of physical memory. However, I am sure the solutions mentioned by other users in this thread might work for someone who is experiencing the same issue, so I recommend this fix if nothing else mentioned in this thread works.

Solution