Question Ham Clock on Orange Pi?

Apr 9, 2023
What would be an acceptable Orange Pi to install Ham Clock on? It would be the only thing running there, but want to assure I don't cut myself short on being able to use all the features.
Also, would the install be about the same as posted on installing on a Raspberry Pi?
Sorry, very new to the whole micro single board world.

-Steve
KC8TMV

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
Like on the Ham Clock page pick one that has at least 2GB RAM.

The Orange Pi is not for the faint at heart. It is poorly supported. You're going to have challenges finding drivers that work and what you do find will be challenging to install.

Plan on spending a lot of time searching the web, trying this and that, reloading different OS's, etc.

Orange Pi's are pretty cheap and a good way to ease your way into it. But until they support the hardware better, you're not going to be able to do much.

That said, "Go for it" and let us know your success

Best of luck

OSD

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
What would be an acceptable Orange Pi to install Ham Clock on? It would be the only thing running there, but want to assure I don't cut myself short on being able to use all the features.
Also, would the install be about the same as posted on installing on a Raspberry Pi?
Sorry, very new to the whole micro single board world.

-Steve
KC8TMV
I’d just get a Raspberry Pi Zero W. I got mine for $10 a year or so ago and it’s been great. Though I really only use it with P4wnP1 to play pranks/send commands remotely ;)

My Raspberry Pi 4B is for anything else like file servers, media servers, and other projects.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
OK. After all of my concerns, I thought that this would be a cool clock and decided to see if I could get it to run. And I did! Now I'm not a ham operator so I'm clueless as to what's what, but the GUI came up and looks like the picture.

Here's what I did for my OrangePi Zero 2
o The most recent version of Orange Pi Ubuntu Desktop 3.0.6
o connected to my WiFi
o in a terminal
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
o downloaded the installer from HamClock
Desktop tab
Steps 1-3
o Edited the installer
change the line that has "buster|bullseye" to include jammy, That is, change
to "jammy|buster|bullseye"
delete all lines with "raspberrypi":
save & exit
o follow the remaining steps for installing HamClcok

I wonder if it's really working ?) Looks cool

Have fun

OSD

ps (crow doesn't taste so good but it is good for the soul)