Hands (and Eyes)-On with Vuzix Smart Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
On this latter component is a 1080p HD camera for taking pictures and video, a feature that could prove troublesome in the hands of perverts and thieves looking for credit card and PIN numbers.

It would be my guess that in order to do augmented reality, there would have to be a video camera that would need to process the video stream to overlay intelligent information relative to what you are viewing. I really don't see a way around that, but I could be wrong.

Like it or not, I'm pretty sure there will be cameras everywhere within a few years, hopefully, with a few private exceptions.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Sorry, forgot the quotes on the above. Please ignore.

"On this latter component is a 1080p HD camera for taking pictures and video, a feature that could prove troublesome in the hands of perverts and thieves looking for credit card and PIN numbers."

It would be my guess that in order to do augmented reality, there would have to be a video camera that would need to process the video stream to overlay intelligent information relative to what you are viewing. I really don't see a way around that, but I could be wrong.

Like it or not, I'm pretty sure there will be cameras everywhere within a few years, hopefully, with a few private exceptions.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
what's the deal with this feared to be used by perverts? It's mounted to your face, you'd have to walk up to some woman and stick your face in her clevage for it to record anything interesting.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Kind of looks like 1/2 of the glasses used in the TV show Caprica. So is Ben Loquiao, the guy who patented this many years ago, finally going to be making money?

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]what's the deal with this feared to be used by perverts? It's mounted to your face, you'd have to walk up to some woman and stick your face in her clevage for it to record anything interesting.[/citation]

I think the concern is that some thing that some happens to catch a glimpse of is now recorded forever to be replayed... think mom breastfeeding her baby or someone quickly typing a pin on a keypad which could then be replayed slowly to decipher the pin

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]I think the concern is that some thing that some happens to catch a glimpse of is now recorded forever to be replayed... think mom breastfeeding her baby or someone quickly typing a pin on a keypad which could then be replayed slowly to decipher the pin[/citation]

This already happens today. You can easily pretend to be using your phone, while actually shooting video the whole time. If you don't want people catching a peep, then I suggest you don't do it.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]And if you already wear glasses?[/citation]

I'd be surprised if they dont' have some sort of clip on option or didn't plan for it to be useable with glasses, I don't wear glasses myself but i remember a whiel back there was a heads up dssplay concept that used a person's classes and prodected data on them with a special coating on the insitede of cglasses, that was a year or so ago not sure if its still in the works but it seemed cool at the time

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
What? No Borg references?

I can't really tell from the pictures. Does the device provide the eye with a kind of HUD transparent overlay, or is the eye completely covered so that binocular vision isn't possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.