Hands-On: Antec Bias LED Lighting Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I own three of these, bought them right after they launched. I find them incredibly underwhelming, but they do help...a little. So I keep them behind the monitors. I think they could have used twice the number of LEDs on the strips to make them brighter. They also seem incredibly cheap in comparison to similar products I have used.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Overhead lights should be turned off (or at least use bulbs and tubes of lower intensity), and outside windows blocked with shades or curtains – floor lighting is even suggested so that the ambient lighting is cut down by at least half the typical level.
I've actually never heard that before :S

due to eye strain I went to the good will, bought a $2 lamp that is ugly as hell, and put the dimmest bulb I could find in it. It is behind the monitor, so I don't have to look at it, and it works very well. It is on a switch, so it is easy to turn off for movie night when I dont want to see the room I am in. perfect solution!

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]due to eye strain I went to the good will, bought a $2 lamp that is ugly as hell, and put the dimmest bulb I could find in it. It is behind the monitor, so I don't have to look at it, and it works very well. It is on a switch, so it is easy to turn off for movie night when I don't want to see the room I am in. perfect solution![/citation]I've done something similar with a disused clip-on desk lamp I already had. Did wonders for long-term visual comfort.
[citation][nom]Mark Heath[/nom]I've actually never heard that before :S[/citation]Me neither. I've always read/been told I should be working and playing in a well-lit environment. I'm left wondering what the reasoning for this new philosophy could be.
Incidentally as I was reading I thought, "What an unnecessary new product. There are other solutions that are quite similar that have been on the market for quite some time now, even if they have not been specifically marketed as such. You can get stick-on LED task lights at the hardware store for like $5 or something."
Then I thought, "It's the sort of product that Kevin Parrish would review. Gee I haven't read one of his reviews in forever (I hadn't been to the site in months)...come to think of it, I had completely forgotten he existed until now. Is he still on the TH staff?"
Then I scrolled up and saw in teeny, tiny text that this article was indeed Kevin's. Face, meet palm.

nikkidpartypooper

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
This all crap,i've still got good eyes. Are you all sure that you are not moving around your monitors,distance wise. I started to get trouble as soon as I got rid of my mobile desktop desk table,which was closer to my head. When I got a larger desktop desk that is not mobile,I placed the monitor further away from my head and low & behold,I started to get eye strain within a few weeks of doing this.

G

Ummm... And this is new? Only 6 LED's??
Sorry, but Logiix makes a much better product with 10 and 20 LED's.
They are just less than the diameter of a pencil and they have a flexible neck. They are actually designed for a laptop, to light the keyboard. I use three of these LED tubes on my computer desk: one 10 LED fastened under the main workspace to light up the keyboard; one 10 LED under the monitor shelf to light up the main work space; one 20 LED behind the monitor. I set these up four years ago. I also have a small IKEA lamp with a 5 watt fluorescent bulb behind the monitor.
They cost about $16 Canadian. If you live in western Canada, you can buy them at London Drugs. (6 LED's... pffft...)

rylan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
I bought one of these when the product launched. I'm not impressed. I can't tell any difference with it on or off. Also, there's no switch to turn the lighting off. It's on 24-7.

Well, why not just give a slit at the back of the CFL or LED strip that is used to light up the LCD????????
If the whole concept was that brilliant, I think Doctors and the LCD makers would have thought of it way back.....
I sometimes have my doubts as to what the guys are trying to sell to people unaware of the whole concept of eyes going bad.
Just another gimmic to make people buy crap.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I have already seen this idea from TV manufacturers and retail stores such as IKEA (light strip product).
I think DIY people might find less expensive solutions at local hardware stores. This product should also have power switch because not all USB ports power down with the PC.

G

This Bias lighting does work I had major eyestrain before now it's basically gone with the excessive blinking. If you never had trouble before I could see how it wouldn't help you =)
Or a poorly calibrated Monitor could do you in =(

KipTon

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2015
I found this to be interesting. I had never done this before with a TV. I never thought about doing this before with a TV. I read about it on my rss feed (source: http://pocinc.net/blog/technology-news/backlight-your-tv-with-antecs-led-bias-lighting-for-less-strain-in-the-dark ) and it mentioned it was good for defining the “depth” between your TV and the wall behind it, and that it lowers eye strain. I spend a lot of time behind the PC at work, so eye strain is a common thing for me. I had already taken the brightness down on the TV itself which helped a little. Then I decided to try this out. It does create a cool effect around the TV and doesn’t seem to be distracting. It does seem to relieve our eyes a slight bit. Who comes up with this stuff? So many thinkers in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.