Hands-On: Four Cool Logitech Peripherals for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]mariusmotea[/nom]I see the start key, so i belive these are more for windows 7 than 8.[/citation]
if you press the windows key in windows 8 it takes you back and forth the start menu and the last program you had opened.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mariusmotea[/nom]I see the start key, so i belive these are more for windows 7 than 8.[/citation]
The windows key has worked with every version of Windows since Win95 launched....why would it suddenly be tied to only 1 version of Windows?

I picked up the T400 for a friend's PC that I upgraded to win8, and it works great. I was going to get the T620 as it has gesture support until it dawned on me: It supports gestures, but is not a touch screen. This means that I can activate the charms menu from the mouse, but I still have to move the mouse over to the right in order to USE the charms menu. Same for the other edge swipes. So in other words, other than for pich to zoom, the rest of the gestures are mostly useless. the T650 seems equally useless, and most users would be much better off getting a wacom tablet instead.

The T400 has a great feel, and the glass scrolling area is great. You can scroll up, down, left and right, and in theory you could pinch to zoom on it, but that would be too akward. Then it has a top-center button that is the start screen (works so well I changed that on my mouse), and a bottom-center button that is your normal center click (but we assigned it to the paste function). It gets 5 stars in my book.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I believe the touch pad may have a lot to offer especially for people who have repetitive strain injuries through mouse use. Now these new devices are coming out to support the new features of Win 8 the PC will enter the new age of computing that MS has tried to create through Win 8. I have been using Win 8 for a while now and I would not go back now. Yes it was a transition but I have full confidence in the Win 8 OS.

[citation][nom]soundping[/nom]I still like my peripherals wired.[/citation]
I like having a wired mouse but it has more to do with my setup than actual preference. My rig sits on a coffee table, while I sit on a couch. If I am laying down and watching a show then the couch has a bad habit of eating the mouse, which then requires me to fumble about trying to find it while it goes clicking away. Having the wire simple gives me something to fish it out with.
But for day to day use you would never know the difference between a good quality wireless mouse, and a wired one. Cheap wireless mice have all sorts of lag, even the cheap logitechs, but most of the mid to upper range ones work just fine these days, and get a year + of battery life even when under heavy use.

Personally I want a real next gen interface like leapmotion or a kinnect for Windows that is not a dev kit. But what they really missed the boat on was the speech interface. I was really hoping to see something more like the 'conversational' WP speech engine included in win8, and was very disappointed to find that it is still the same thing as XP. It is terrible, slow, and cumbersome. If they redid the speech engine I really think it would have a lot to offer tablet/laptop users, as well as desktop users.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
The touchpad looks okay for desktop use, if you want to rest your hand from the mouse a little bit.

The rest, well, nothing special...

And like someone else said, I prefer my peripherals to be wired. Why risk having lags and/or dropouts due to interference, when these peripherals are never gonna leave your desktop anyway?

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I would love to buy into more of logitechs products but after my last 2 and current Performance Mouse MX have serious left click issues which is a very known widespread issue with other logitechs mice i think its time to go to another brand. They are sure quick to mail you out a new one within your 3 year warranty time period but if it does the same thing as the last one after 6 months it defeats the purpose.

I'm not even going to mention whats the point of having a bluetooth keyboard that can switch between 3 different sources if it does not switch the mouse too. It would have been better if they had made it with their unifying technology.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]Okay, seriously, I try not to assume the worst about motives, but in this case, I have to ask...if I had Adblock installed, would I still see this article?[/citation]

I don't really view this is an ad. The products are entirely new and I went and ordered my touch pad today. There is a fine line between ad and product release articles but I for one want to know when things like this are released.

Status
Not open for further replies.